Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knight muzzel loader

razor4821

PMA Member
I just purchased a knight disc extreme .50 cal muzzel loader - was wondering if anybody with the same has any info on load and bullet combinations - what is to much powder and what is not enough - this all new to me - will be using mainly for deer hunting - bought hornday xtp magnum 240 grain bullets w/sabots what would be the right powder charge ?

Start working up loads from 100 grains of Pyrodex or 777 and find something that groups well. I use 110gr with a 200gr Knight bullet for deer and a 385 grain lead conical bullet for black bears in my Knight disc.

do you have any idea how fast the 200grain bullet shoots with110gr of powder - what do you think of the pyrodex pellets ?

Like bowmaker said work up the load that works well in your gun.But dont be afraid to drop below 100 grains of powder.90 grains of 777 and a 240 grain HornadyXTP seem to be the load for mine.According to the can, Ive never chronographed mine, a 240 grain xtp pushed by 100 grains of 777 should shoot about 1820 fps.

I tried the pellets last year and didnt care for em, even with swabbing between shots they fouled my barrel real bad and made for hard reloading.But then other guys swear by em so youd have to decide for yourself.Ive also heard 777 is now available in pellet form, it seems to burn cleaner anyway so it might be worth looking into

Your Knight owners manual should have a chart that will show the trajectory,speed,bullet weights, & powder charges that you shpuld be using.
If you did'nt get one with your gun you should get ahold of one (try Knights websight).

thanks for the tips, I recieved an owners manual but all they have are stats on knight bullets - just curios as to the load combinations others are shooting and bullet and powder brands being used - there are so many where do ya start ??????????? thanks

I started with 100 grains of 777 powder, and a 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet. It shot great, so I didn't try any other combos. My son and I shot our deer with this gun ad 70 and 80 yards. Couldn't be happier with my Knight !

camo man , do you have any idea how much the bullet drops at 100yds - how far would comfortable take a shot ?

I have my gun sighted in to hit 2 inches high at 50 yards, and it should be about right on at 100 yards. The 80 yard shot was the longest I have taken. I really don't care for long shots, but we were hunting in a big stand in a cottonwood that had a nice shooting rail (a long 2x6). It made for a solid rest, and I would have been comfortable out to and beyond 100 yards if necessary. I don't forsee longer shots happening, but I do like to be confident if the right shot presents itself.

Top Bottom