Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

knocked "ten" down

bigbukfevr

went out yesterday mornin for a bow hunt on openin day of muzzleloader and man oh man did it pay off! It all started this spring when my boss pickup up a shed off a buck i'd never seen when we burned the bluff. it was a sweet shed, low 70's antler with a great frame. in july i was drivin around and saw a big ol ten in a bean field by our farm, thought it was real big with a great frame. a few days later i was drivin around with a buddy and we saw him on my farm, watched him for awhile and named him "ten." as the next few weeks went by i saw him several times and was obsessed with him, a dream buck for me. i watched him 7 nights in a row right about the time the early muzzleloader season tags went on sale. i decided to buy a tag hopin that if i couldnt get him with my bow id be more than willing to take him with a gun. well the day i bought the tag was the last time i saw him for 7 weeks, he totally fell off the map, couldnt get any trail pics of him or anything.

Well about three weeks ago i finally got a decent picture of him, just one, but he was still there thank god. well time went by with no sightings and come this last monday night we picked corn late enough that i couldnt get out to hunt so i went down to glass and see what i could see. sure enough i saw "ten" with the 8 that he always ran around with. the 8 left and ten just worked over a tree for like 5 minutes. that got me all revved up seein that giant in hardhorn still on the farm, same place id seen him most of the times before. I hunted for him on wednesday, he never shower up. had an opportunity with another buck on the list but he just wasnt old enough and its too early to settle for any buck but "ten." I put up a new set at lunch time on friday and got in early that evening. never saw a single deer all night.

I wasnt real excited to go out saturday mornin because ive never had much luck in the early season in the morning. well i decided to go out thank god. i decided that morning with the north wind i would sit in a different stand and try for "junky." bout an hour went by and hadnt seen anything, which is odd for this spot. i decided to do alittle gruntin, grunted 5 or 6 times and about ten minutes later i saw a doe and her fawn workin their way towards me. they got to about 65 yds and all the sudden all i could hear was a buck just gruntin his head off. i waited and watched for him to show himself and here he comes, up through the switchgrass all you could see was antlers, i picked up my binos and just looked long enough to see his big g4s and i knew it was "ten." he was comin in like he was on a string. i had to draw early at about 45 yds and just wait because he was gonna walk right in front of me close. about a minute of bein at full draw, he was walkin broadside about 8-10 yds in front of me. i earp'd at him and sent the arrow. i saw the shot, waaayyy back, absolutely terrible shot for a broadside 10 yd shot. i was sick, watched him run off over the hill hopin he wouldnt go far. i was shaking bad so i just got down and went back to the truck. made a few calls and waited until noon to go look for him.

at noon I took off walkin up the hill to try to find blood and saw a few crows flying so I looked around to see if he was laying close by and sure enough he was laying right in the open, he had ran about 150yds and piled up. he was dead when i got down out of the stand, but you just never know. sure enough it was "ten." here he is, we got a rough score of 185". get him officially scored this week hopefully.

09tenptpics048.jpg

09tenptpics034.jpg

09tenptpics010.jpg

Top Bottom