Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

knocking on doors

Has anyone had success knocking on doors to get access to hunting ground? And if so, what are some good ways to find what doors to knock on?

I have found that sometimes it works well to get permission to do something somewhat smaller or less important than deer hunting (turkey hunting, coyote hunting, shed hunting) first and then be able to grow your relationship with the landowner from there. Not saying those other types of hunting are less important but maybe something you don't care for as much as deer hunting. Majority of the landowners won't even blink if you ask to turkey hunt. Get to know the landowner a little but more importantly let the landowner get to know you better so you can show them you are a likable and trustworthy person.

I got permission from a landowner who owned some ground right next to public by asking if I could walk across his cornfield to get into the back corner of the state ground and he was so confused. He goes, "You don't want to hunt my property?" And I just told him that if I got the opportunity some day to do that, I would be interested but for right now I'm just looking at getting back into the state ground a little easier. We got a long great that first year and I gave him some deer sticks from the doe I shot and he thought that was great. I now have permission on all of his ground.

I also thinks it helps that when you show up to someones door to ask permission that it's probably best not to be dressed in camo from head to toe. I just think that sometimes people can be turned off by that a little bit. I am also a bow hunter so when I ask, I always tell them I will be bow hunting and not gun hunting.

I know Sureshot had a great writeup on this subject last year at some point...I will see if I can find it. He had some awesome points in there. Good luck to you!

Sureshot has the VERY best concept on this. But where to start? That first door you come to!

It's not as hard as some would have you believe. Knock on 20 doors and I bet you find a couple that'll let you hunt.

Agreed on above tho, perhaps start with something less exciting, like turks, coyotes, etc.

good luck!
:way:

I've found that asking to hunt mushrooms is a great way to develop relationships. A lot of the older folks will give you permission for life if you drop off a bag of fresh morels that you've picked from their property.

I have found just asking to hunt in a polite way with a little conversation that is not hunting related offering to help around the farm or clearing fence lines of down trees. I help one land owner shed hunt because he makes light fixtures out of the sheds. But In the end grow some balls and just ask. I have never been asked from anyone to hunt my property but cars always stop and watch my food plots so I know people want to hunt it but no one ever asks and I would let almost anyone hunt my plots.

How I got permission to hunt a place that's WAY too good for me to hunt is the fact I got permission to shed hunt and found somebodies buck they shot. Although, I'm still only aloud to bow hunt and shed hunt it, it's quality ground! Plus, I've made quite a few friends along the way. Even got a job thanks to the fact I asked to shed hunt somebodies land.

Top Bottom