Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

KS POSSIBLY REMOVING BAIT- I support, here’s why…

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I hope Kansas does this!!!!!! That state has been kicked in the balls for 15 years now of poor regulation choices that have degraded what it used to be. (Like every other state). Crossbows with cell cams on bait piles…. That’s KS & a handful of states.
1) that model does not retain hunters. Hunters without woodsmen-ship & a major challenge, don’t stay with the sport. There’s data & there’s my common sense to back this up
2) the ecosystems, browse & deer health are greatly degraded after bait is pulled “when hunting ends”. Disaster & destructive to herd & habitat.
3) levels the playing field for neighboring landowners and the hunters vs deer. IMO.
4) bait sales are a tiny fraction of bushels grown for any farmer that farms over even 100 acres. Farmers will be just fine & bait sales are drop in bucket.
5) other bordering states don’t do it. I would argue kansas would take a step towards having a deer herd closer to Iowas (age class, etc) with removal of bait for hunting
6) I do support spring & summer supplemental feed for health of herd. Not the injection during hunting season.
7) KS has twice the forested acres of iowa & that’s not including the plains regions. The east half of kansas receives similar rainfall totals that iowa does. The dryer half of KS can still grow more drought tolerant crops like sorghum, Milo & alfalfa. It also still contains massive swaths of irrigated corn & beans.
8) milder winters than iowa & less need for feed. & again, the reality I see in KS over 20+ years is pulling the feed around December when deer are congregated & leaving herds with overbrowsed land from Jan to march- toughest months on deer & forest browse.
9) overall this is a NET WIN to kansas. Age class, quality of hunting, the pursuit & hunt, etc. Kansas has taken all hits to buck age class, hunters & management. FINALLY the deer get one in their favor!!!!!
I hope this passes. I know it’s a hot button issue. I get it!!! I get theirs 2 sides. If this passes- kansas will be a better state. & id argue that 2-3 years from now- things will improve & hunters will overwhelmingly not want to revert to corn pile madness.
Thoughts?
Here’s contacts if anyone wanted to reach out. Finding their emails I’m sure is easy & I can dig them up if needed. I’m sure emails to dnr of KS & legislators would be very helpful. I know we have some KS folks on here. I hunted a lot of places in KS last year…. Kansas deer herd is degraded vs the past & improvement is sure welcomed by me :).
IMG_4786.jpeg

Do you have a link to the proposal? I keep a feeder in my back yard, but hunt at least 1/2 mile from it. I enjoy it for the kid. I'm curious if there are distance requirements, or an outright ban?

If any of you have IG….. read through comments here. This is pretty interesting. There’s some account called “iowawhitetail” that isn’t quite going along with the narrative ;). Done Respectfully & with facts & experience.
Of course T Bone is against banning bait, it's the only way he knows how to hunt. I'm glad iowawhitetail is speaking out in favor of banning in season bait.

Go look at the comments……. One group with huge amount of comments…. WAIT FOR IT….?!?!?…. OUTFITTERS!!!!!!!
“Pay us a few grand. Go sit on this corn pile- buck been showing up on cell cam bout 5pm. Roast him!” All about in & out clients killing fast for $!!!! Easy button !!!! Everyone gotta have the easy button. DO THE HARD WORK… scout, hunt AG, learn trail systems & woodsmen-ship, maybe eat a tag?!?!! NO!!! Can’t do that!!!! Have to make it as close to guaranteed to kill things as easily as possible. Trend has gone on for 20 years across countless states & ruined or degraded every last one of em!!!!!

The moment I saw it was proposed I thought it was great! To say it this way- a non resident who travels there that DOESNT want to use bait is in a harder spot right off the bat. I know when I was there last an outfitter drove past with a wagon while I was getting changed and pulled in a little ways down the road. I didn’t see a deer that night.
I saw and read through a lot of the comments in my free time today and just marvel on how many people want it (even non outfitters) screaming about baiting being so good. I’ve never done it, pry never will (just do my plots)- if they are worried about the “money loss”- what’s that tell you? The companies are pushing it so they can sell product.

Sadly here in Georgia there is a generation of hunters where the majority of them not all of them ,but the majority all they know is hunting over a feeder or a corn pile. some of the people I talk to have absolutely no idea about any basic woodsmanship, they literally sit at home all off season start filling there feeders in August then come deer season hunt over them. No pre or post season scouting whatsoever. They have no idea how to read sign or even look for any natural food sources. It’s really sad and disheartening. Again i am not saying this is all GA hunters coming up, but an awful lot of them this all they know. I am sure other states that allow bait have a lot hunters that do the same.
I could go in and on about the negatives of baiting and give several examples of why it’s not good from what i have personally seen but I don’t have the time right now.
I am very thankful I came up when I did and learned to right way.

So here’s what happened or is happening…. The groups that are part of baiting industry (sell feeders, feed, etc - MASTER BAITERS), NR’s who want easy hunting, show up to a corn pile & OUTFITTERS got together to kill this behind the scenes.
Data & some folks I talked to “in the know” said Resident hunters are majority+++ for removing bait. special interests (mainly outside of KS) are against removal.

NEEDS TO GO TO A VOTE!!!! KANSAS RESIDENT HUNTERS!!!! Which means, NR’s like ME… aren’t voting on how KS manages their shared resource. Hope it comes to a vote!!!!

So here’s what happened or is happening…. The groups that are part of baiting industry (sell feeders, feed, etc - MASTER BAITERS), NR’s who want easy hunting, show up to a corn pile & OUTFITTERS got together to kill this behind the scenes.
Data & some folks I talked to “in the know” said Resident hunters are majority+++ for removing bait. special interests (mainly outside of KS) are against removal.

NEEDS TO GO TO A VOTE!!!! KANSAS RESIDENT HUNTERS!!!! Which means, NR’s like ME… aren’t voting on how KS manages their shared resource. Hope it comes to a vote!!!!

It won’t. Our system is as corrupt as it gets. My state representative is a guy I graduated high school with. Out of 180 students his GPA ranked 181st. He’s a puppet. Complete moron. He would sell his wife for the right price…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won’t. Our system is as corrupt as it gets. My state representative is a guy I graduated high school with. Out of 180 students his GPA ranked 181st. He’s a puppet. Complete moron. He would sell his wife for the right price…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sad that guys like this would side behind the scenes & closed doors with the Master-Baiters.

KS has been plagued with selling out the resource!!! Commercialized like crazy…. Since I went there…. They had a few years where landowners & farmers could auction tags to highest NR bidders. Residents checked in to hunt “sorry- new program. Sold tags. U can’t hunt”. Residents got screwed!!!!! Outfitters have grown & got concessions for their businesses to explode. Ruined blocks of KS. I saw this first hand all over. A few good ones but most are a disaster.
Where were all these groups when crossbows got pushed & sell outs allowed that? Allowed that plague into the state. Now it’s: corn piles with cell cams & crossbows. Often times by a NR that paid $3k to sit there & shoot a buck. It’s hurt that state BAD!!!
It’s bad when I went to countless farms & bait piles stacked on fence lines. Residents hunting walk-in because they lost their access. Often to NR’s or outfitters. I’m a NR…. Residents of KS should get far more things in their favor. They are hurting. That deer herd is not what it was 20 years ago. Same with quality access for residents. They need the pendulum to swing back to the right!!

Sad that guys like this would side behind the scenes & closed doors with the Master-Baiters.

KS has been plagued with selling out the resource!!! Commercialized like crazy…. Since I went there…. They had a few years where landowners & farmers could auction tags to highest NR bidders. Residents checked in to hunt “sorry- new program. Sold tags. U can’t hunt”. Residents got screwed!!!!! Outfitters have grown & got concessions for their businesses to explode. Ruined blocks of KS. I saw this first hand all over. A few good ones but most are a disaster.
Where were all these groups when crossbows got pushed & sell outs allowed that? Allowed that plague into the state. Now it’s: corn piles with cell cams & crossbows. Often times by a NR that paid $3k to sit there & shoot a buck. It’s hurt that state BAD!!!
It’s bad when I went to countless farms & bait piles stacked on fence lines. Residents hunting walk-in because they lost all most of their access. Often to NR’s or outfitters. I’m a NR…. Residents of KS should get far more things in their favor. They are hurting. That deer herd is not what it was 20 years ago. Same with quality access for residents. They need the pendulum to swing back to the right!!
I have watched game commission meetings where outfitters angrily told the commission that for the first time in 10 years clients didn't draw a tag. They cried that it was hurting their bottom line and ability to feed their families (which it very well may have.) The reduction in tags for their area was due to the declining deer population. They told them they would take it into consideration but to keep in mind that they had already overallocated NR tags far in excess of what was promised when they initially opened the state to NR hunters. Wouldn't you know the next year NR tags went up even higher in number? I have watched this state get destroyed over the last 20 years. It dates back to the day they opened it to NR. Not that that is a bad thing in and of itself, but it has to be managed in a sustainable way. It hasn't been and more resident hunters get pushed out every day.

I have watched game commission meetings where outfitters angrily told the commission that for the first time in 10 years clients didn't draw a tag. They cried that it was hurting their bottom line and ability to feed their families (which it very well may have.) The reduction in tags for their area was due to the declining deer population. They told them they would take it into consideration but to keep in mind that they had already overallocated NR tags far in excess of what was promised when they initially opened the state to NR hunters. Wouldn't you know the next year NR tags went up even higher in number? I have watched this state get destroyed over the last 20 years. It dates back to the day they opened it to NR. Not that that is a bad thing in and of itself, but it has to be managed in a sustainable way. It hasn't been and more resident hunters get pushed out every day.
Oh my gosh!!!! How bout the residents whine that they literally CANT FEED THEIR FAMILY cause they have no quality places to hunt?!?!
Outfitters cause so much damage it’s unreal. Few good ones but most are a disaster. They are the Telemarketers of the Hunting world! Might be your livelihood but it’s still a disaster & embarrassment what MOST of them do.

I somehow missed this, over the years I have contacted a few state representatives and wrote a few letters. Nothing has changed and regulations has moved forward. First Crossbows were allowed, on the table the last couple of years has to move rifle season up to mid November and 2 buck harvest, so far nothing has happened but in time im afraid it will.

I would love for the baiting ban to be passed, i can put plots in, improve cover, and try everything to mange my land. my neighbor does nothing, dumps corn piles out starting in September and has killed numerous target bucks over bait piles. I put corn out for some pictures and inventory, but in no means baiting like neighbors do. We share pictures, all his pictures have huge mounds of corn in front of them.

We got hammered with EHD this year, my numbers are insanely different, like 50% from 2 years ago, we've been in drought last 2 years. I think I seen article with biologist estimating eastern 1/3 of Kansas has lost 40%-50% of population, so I'm probably not far off base, so bait piles are really focusing population now it seems.

In the end, I have almost zero hope that baiting will get banned, the herd is not the priority, profiting off the herd is the priority.

Top Bottom