Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lab breeders? In the market for a pup this spring

Been working with this dog (Remi) for a year now. I witnessed her pick up her first "wild" shed this afternoon. I watched her stop on a dime, walk into the wind, pick a shed up out of some tall grass and run and bring it right to me. It has been fun working with her and I look forward to many years of her by my side. It has been very rewarding just to watch her grow, both in size and in her training. Carry on.
c

Congrats looks like the training is paying off!

I have been working with my silver lab pup he is 6 months old and he found his first wild shed last week I have never been so happy!!

Very nice!!!!

Would you mind sharing a quick run down of your training?

I'm not a training expert by any means. There are far better training resources on the internet if you can get past them trying to sell you something. My process was pretty simple.

I started with simple fetch, but always used a small shed. (This dog doesn't know what a tennis ball is). She has only played fetch with a shed. From there I put sheds in the house and got her to play hide and seek. From there we moved it to outside. From there I just raised difficulty to hiding them in CRP, etc. I noticed she hunts with her eyes as much as her nose. Shed shape recognition is key. I used "find a bone" as her keyword to start looking. Always give her high praise when she retrieves a shed.

I never used those silly rubber look alike sheds or the "shed scents". Like many products in the hunting industry I see them as nothing more than gimmicks.

She is FAR from polished and gets easily distracted by other things while in the field but is still young yet.

This year has been slow, but watching her work has more than made up for it.

Pic from this weekend.

IMG_20160227_173248962_zpsq85q4qy6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a training expert by any means. There are far better training resources on the internet if you can get past them trying to sell you something. My process was pretty simple. I started with simple fetch, but always used a small shed. (This dog doesn't know what a tennis ball is). She has only played fetch with a shed. From there I put sheds in the house and got her to play hide and seek. From there we moved it to outside. From there I just raised difficulty to hiding them in CRP, etc. I noticed she hunts with her eyes as much as her nose. Shed shape recognition is key. I used "find a bone" as her keyword to start looking. Always give her high praise when she retrieves a shed. I never used those silly rubber look alike sheds or the "shed scents". Like many products in the hunting industry I see them as nothing more than gimmicks. She is FAR from polished and gets easily distracted by other things while in the field but is still young yet. This year has been slow, but watching her work has more than made up for it. Pic from this weekend.

Congrats love watching dogs work sheds or birds are both awesome!

Man oh man, if your dog can find sheds like that you have a real keeper there! Congrats! She also appears to be a humble dog, since she is not looking directly at the camera and "bragging" about such a nice find. :D You can't beat that!

Man oh man, if your dog can find sheds like that you have a real keeper there! Congrats! She also appears to be a humble dog, since she is not looking directly at the camera and "bragging" about such a nice find. :D You can't beat that!

haha.... more like she is looking where to go next. It's a struggle to get her to sit in the woods. Ants in the pants.... Mach II speed. FULL of that puppy energy.

Top Bottom