Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ladder stands?

hunt-m-up

Being new to iowawhitetail, I just thought I'd throw this one out there. Besides being limited in height and heavy, what do you think of ladder stands for bow and/or gun? I bought an Ol' Timer 16' kinda late last year and didn't get to hunt from it much, but I sure do like climbing in and out of it.

I make some of my own ladder stands and have had success hunting out of them. In fact some of my best hunts have been in ladder stands! Get em up early and enjoy them in November! Yahooo can't wait to get in one this fall.

I USE SEVERAL LADDER STANDS. THEY ARE THE MOST SECURE WAY TO HUNT FROM ABOVE. YES HEIGHT IS AN ISSUE, BUT CAN BE EASILY OVERCOME. MOST CAN BE MADE TO 20 FEET WITH AN EXTENSION.WEIGHT LIMITS DO DECREASE WITH ADDED ELEVATION. I SELL MORE LADDER STANDS EVERY YEAR AND HERES MY THEORY.
LOOK AT THE AVERAGE AGE OF HUNTERS OUT THERE---WE ARE OLDER(possibly wiser),SOME OF US ARE LARGER( FATTER) AND MOST HUNTERS HAVE PURCHASED THEIR 40 PLUS ACRES FOR HUNTING AND RECREATION. HUNTERS FEEL MORE SECURE IN A LADDER STAND.. YES WE ALL OWN AND USE PORTABLES AND CLIMBERS, BUT MOST HUNTERS STILL WANT THE SECURITY. WE HAVE ALL HUNG ON TO A BRANCH WITH ONE HAND WHILE STANDING ON A WET ICED LIMB AND TRIED TO MAKE THE SHOT----WHY NOT BE SAFE IN A LADDER..... JUST ONE OLD FAT HUNTER
YES I OWN 2 OLD MAN LADDERS AND CAN SIT ALL DAY, THEY ARE VERY COMFORTABLE--BUT I ALSO OWN ABOUT A DOZEN HUNTERS VEIW 15 FOOT 6 INCH LADDERS WHICH ARE MORE AFFORDABLE, M350 OUT

I've got a couple of ladder stands that I really like. I rigged both of them up with a piece of all thread as an axle and bought a couple of 13" mower wheels from Wal-Mart and wing nut them on. I stack each section of ladder on top of it and it wheels out fairly easy. Pull off the wheels and set it up. They are easy to set up provided you have a level piece of ground under you. There easy to camo too with cedar branches or whatever type of brush is around. I use plastic wire ties and fasten the branches to the legs of the ladder. They're a great stand in the right situation and as M350 said, they are very comfortable.

The only ladder stands I have are 15' That is the main reason I frown on them. Spend the extra money and go with a 20' It's not easy to find a suitable tree that provides enough cover for the 15' stands. Sure I've had alot of deer stand around while I was only 15' off the ground. The best deer seldom do.

Definately one of the more intelligent ways to hunt above of the ground. (Although I have not fully converted to them)

I like the wheels idea, do you need chains in the snow?
grin.gif

Something else I've seen Rackaddict do is put one in a evergreen tree. Just cut off the limbs where the platform and you stand and you have some great cover. Cut some of the limbs off so you have some shooting lanes behind you and your set.

My dad and I made 5 ladder stands a number of years ago from good ol' native Iowa 2 inch oak lumber and absolutely love them. They range from 15 foot to a towering 18 foot "nose-bleed stand". I have killed many deer from them with both muzzleloader and slug gun. My dad has used them to harvest deer with muzzleloader, bow and slug gun. And let me tell ya, these stands are very heavily build and hard to move, but we can still move them if we want. The best aspect about them is that they are very solid, comfortable and easy to climb in and out of. Good luck and good hunting.
-GunnerJon

If you're looking for an easy home made ladder stand try using the ladder from an old corn crib. It's perfect for a ladder stand or for your regular tree stand instead of screw in steps.

Top Bottom