Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ladino clover and Buck Forage Oats

Keef

A couple of questions about these plants. Last fall I planted Ladino in a couple of fields. I was satisfied with the growth but once we had frost the clover seemed to wilt badly. Is this typical? If so does any clover stand up to frost so I have something green growing in the late season?

I plan to plant some buck forage oats this year. When do you suggest I plant it? I'm in N. Missouri. Is it going to wilt after the first frost or does it stay green longer than other oats?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ladino is not fully established in the first year. Years 2-3 will be the best and you can have a solid stand for over 5 years from the same planting. It seems to stand up fairly well to frost once fully established. It will also be the first thing to green up in spring giving does with fawns much needed protein.

I have planted a lot of buck forage oats over the years. Deer LOVE them but they will wilt out after hard frosts. Between all the grain type food plots I think rye is the most hardy and frost resistant. Rye outperformed my oats and wheat this year especially when it got so cold the first week of November

Just my <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Top Bottom