Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake Odessa

sofakingfast_1

Anyone do much fishing on this lake? Went there early this morning and landed 4 crappie over 15 inches and 10 or 15 around 10 inches. 2nd best crappie lake i know. If you live close give it a shot.

Did you happen to read the article in last months Iowa Sportsman, by Johnnie Craine?

Alot of people in this area (along with Johnnie) complain that the DNR keep the lake levels low for the duck hunters, making it hard for the fisherman to get anywhere back in there. Usually it is so low in the summertime it's not even worth trying.

I am suprised that you got in there. I believe they also had a levee break somewhere down there too. Maybe now is the perfect time to hit it, while the water is up. It's been a few years since i have fished it. Only about 15 miles from home, so maybe i should give it a try again.

Care to share some GPS coordinates? LOL.

Sorry i was just joking and thought id get THA4 all fired up but hes probably tourney fishing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I read the article in Iowa Sportsman thats why i made this post. I wouldnt fish Odessa if it was the last lake in Iowa. Its a mudhole. Several people i work with and people i know hunt waterfowl in there and they seem to think its just fine that the DNR keeps it a mudhole but i think its BS and that article in the Iowa Sportsman is awesome. Hopefully things will change but for some reason i highly doubt it. If your'e wanting big crappie right now and your willing to drive a little just p.m. me and i'll fill you in on a place to fill up a 5 gallon bucket full of slabs /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I've got 5 private messages about this post already. LOL. So,......there IS people out there who love crappie as much as i do. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

snort.....

i knew you were full of it! hahaha
i grew up a few miles from there and used to fish there when i was little.... errrr younger..... and caught very little....

not the best fishing lake around.....

the DNR manages it for waterfowl NOT for fishing.....
unfortunatly, in my opinion.....

We used to catch a ton of crappies on Odessa ice fishing, but that is about it. It's definitely a strange lake.

When I lived in Letts I went over to explore Odessa. Bout shite myself when I dove out of the boat to cool off and my head stuck in the mud! Stinky ole swamp hole anyway! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I do remember years ago, fishing brush piles there with my cousin from Muscatine and catching some nice crappie. They sure have let it go south. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Managing a lake for ducks?????????

That is a new one on me...........

I guess up here our Game and Fish department has it easy with a slough every mile or so..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I've given that lake 4 or 5 chances for fishing and never really had any great success in the main body of it. My old man told me that he used to catch some real nice crappies up to almost 14 inches there back in the day. But, like Thomas said.. it is managed for waterfowl.. it gets crazy there during waterfowl season.. The only time I ever went duck hunting was in Odessa, and right across the main body of the lake from the boat ramp there is a narrow shute u have to go through.. we blasted through it and unexpectedly cracked the lower unit on a log that was laying across it and lost all of the oil.. had to get towed back.. at least we made it to our drawn stake to hunt the morning. I guess 3 other boats did the same thing.. The only good success i've had in Odessa...sort of.. I came in off of the river and fished right where the water spilled in from the tubes and caught about a dozen real nice crappie and a real nice white bass and a lot of bluegill.. last time i tried going there.. it was too shallow and all silted in.... but that was like 8 yrs ago. It is a great lake for bowfishing.

Top Bottom