Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Management

nosna

A hunting dream of mine has always been to manage land for wildlife. An opportunity finally presented itself to me, and I had the opportunity to put in food plots on the 160 acre farm I hunt. The landowner was excited about my passion for animals and wanted to help support as much as possible. She has allowed me to put in up to about 5 acres of food plots this year. I started clearing land in March and had the land tilled and prepped by early April. So far I have put in approx. 3 acres of clover/chicory blend. After reading many posts by dbltree on the value of clover, I went with that as my main crop. The other two acres will be in a winter blend of brassicas, peas, and an assortment of other plants. I put a trail camera up early this year in hopes of catching the growth of bucks on the land. It has been rough the past two years after EHD hit the land, but to my surprise not only are numbers up, but I have three bucks frequenting the mineral lick next to the clover/chicory plot. The dates are 9 days off...

Looks like you did a good job clearing off the land. Make sure you show us some pics here in a couple months! Looks like you with have a couple dandy n-typicals.

Looks like you did a good job clearing off the land. Make sure you show us some pics here in a couple months! Looks like you with have a couple dandy n-typicals.

Agreed, the bases on a couple of those bucks look pretty promising! Good luck on the plots!

I just hope their summer/fall ranges stay the same. I would hate to lose them to a surrounding farm :D

Top Bottom