Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Owner-Injured Deer

ecuwil

I am fortunate enough to have permission to hunt a couple hundred acres not far from my house. Landowners are extremely nice people who have no interest in hunting. The owner called me and mentioned they saw an injured deer that was missing the lower portion of it's front left leg and had what she described as a growth the size of a Dixie cup on its back. She asked if I saw the deer would I put it down.

I am surprised it made it through the winter, but is there a legal way for me to put this deer out of its misery this time of year?

Let me state my question a little differently. The owners have asked if there is anything they can do as land owners to put the deer down but being that they do not hunt they would look to me to do it for them. I do not believe that they even own a gun, much less would be able to locate the deer and put it down.

Last edited:
I am surprised it made it through the winter, but is there a legal way for me to put this deer out of its misery this time of year?

No.

I had the DNR out for a deer stuck in the fence. Even though the wire cut to the bone all the way around the leg, they let it go, claiming to never have a clear shot (which was presented when it was hung in the fence :confused:). So I doubt you will be allowed to shoot a deer that has survived this long. Odds are good it will make it, 3 legged deer are not that uncommon.

No.

I had the DNR out for a deer stuck in the fence. Even though the wire cut to the bone all the way around the leg, they let it go, claiming to never have a clear shot (which was presented when it was hung in the fence :confused:). So I doubt you will be allowed to shoot a deer that has survived this long. Odds are good it will make it, 3 legged deer are not that uncommon.
Yeah, I shot a doe in the leg and she has 3 legs and shes still alive saw her last night.

I've got two 3-legged does on my farm. One of them has nothing on one side, no stub, no nothing. It looks like her leg was surgically removed at the shoulder. She's at least 7 years old now and healthy as can be. Raises a fawn every year. The other one has a deformed leg on one side. Must have been hit by a car, or shot up. Its amazing what the can live through. If they made it to this time of the year, they stand a good chance of living through the winter.

Top Bottom