Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

land owner question

10hunter

PMA Member
I have a neighbor who wants to hunt shotgun but is 16 and didn't take hunter safety. Is he OK to get their landowner tag and hunt shotgun on their owned land?

I'm pretty sure he has to have a hunting license w/hab stamp, even on family land at age 16. There should be a chart in the reg book or just go to the IDNR website.

You may already have this figured out, but I'm pretty sure the first step is to register as land owner on DNR website. I don't think anyone can buy a LOT without doing that first.

His Dad usually gets the landowner tag from what he told me so assuming that has been done. Looks to me on chart in DNR handbook that Landowner doesn't need hunt license or Habitat stamp. What I still haven't come across is if he would need to have hunter safety to get their landowner tag? Wondering if anyone has any experience or may be able to answer this?

I had to show proof for my 14 year old nephew that he had successfully completed the hunters safety course before they would even sell him a license or tag.

Why are u worried about what your neighbor does?? If he gets caught on his land it's not ur problem.

Maybe he's trying to help the kid out so that he doesn't get in trouble... you know telling him some rules that maybe his family had overlooked. Not many 16 year old kids are going to fully read all the rules. If dad says it ok, then let's go shoot some deer!

This is from the IA Hunting Regs:

HUNTING LICENSES FOR
LANDOWNERS & TENANTS THAT
FARM AGRICULTURAL LAND
1) Small game and furbearers. Resident
and nonresident owners and tenants that farm
agricultural land in Iowa and their juvenile
children do not need licenses to hunt and trap
on such lands and may shoot by lawful means
ground squirrels, gophers, and woodchucks upon
adjacent roads. Deer and Wild Turkey Licenses
are required to hunt deer and wild turkey.

2) Deer and Wild Turkey. Iowa residents
who are owners of agricultural land or tenants
that farm agricultural land, or are a spouse or
child of the owner or tenant that reside with the
owner or tenant, are eligible for Landowner-Tenant
deer and wild turkey hunting licenses, commonly
called landowner-tenant licenses.

I had a quick question someone on here might know the answer. If we have a family owned 180 acres, can I get the tag? My dad and his siblings own the 180, and I usually hunt it but could I get a landowner tag off of it? No one else in the family hunts this ground, thanks

Thanks for the replies fellas...and trapshooter1. The kid has helped me out before around my place and was telling me of his dilemma. Doesn't want to go break the law and get into trouble. Told him I would post the question on this sight as a lot of good knowledgeable people on here, well mostly!

I had a quick question someone on here might know the answer. If we have a family owned 180 acres, can I get the tag? My dad and his siblings own the 180, and I usually hunt it but could I get a landowner tag off of it? No one else in the family hunts this ground, thanks

Not unless your name is on the title or you actually do the farming of the ground.

Or are a family member that meets the requirements.
Are you 19 or younger, going to school and living with your parents? Then yes. Read below.

LANDOWNER OPERATION QUALIFICATIONS
Must have legal ownership in qualifying land, be
a resident of Iowa, and meet one or more of the
following:
l Operator on the farm unit.
l Make annual decisions about the farm operation.
l Raise specialty crops.
l Land is enrolled in a conservation reserve
program.
l Rent entire farm to an adult child who operates
the farm unit.
TENANT OPERATION QUALIFICATIONS
Must be a resident of Iowa and rents and actively farms
agricultural land owned by another person. Rental
includes cash rent or share crop arrangements.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR FAMILY MEMBERS
Spouse or child (under 18 years old or 18 or 19
and in high school or a general equivalency degree
program) who resides with owner or tenant.
DEER TAGS AVAILABLE PER FARM UNIT
l One (1) general deer tag.
l One (1) antlerless deer tag.
l Two (2) paid antlerless deer tags.
TURKEY TAGS AVAILABLE PER FARM UNIT
l One (1) Spring Turkey Tag.
l One (1) Fall Turkey Tag.

Last edited:
No. Not unless you rent the farm or do the actual farming of the land. Do you believe all your cousins have the right to a landowner tag?

Top Bottom