Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Purchase Input

Long time lurker on the site....

I'm very near to a point in which I can place myself into a position of purchasing some ground in our great state.

I've spent hours browsing any a number of web sites in which recreational ground is advertised and feel that it may be time to open a relationship with someone that specializes in recreational land.

I'm interested in the SE portion of the state, ideally a location that isn't too terribly far from the Iowa City area.

Can anyone provide a name of a reputable land broker for the SE portion of the state?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See, I'll get in trouble for recommending some folks and not others :) You can PM me if you'd like who I've worked with and have had great luck with, there's also some that have been a major dissapointment and I'd never do business with again. There's also a few I've heard great things about BUT haven't had a chance to work with. Big differences for sure & some you need to be very careful with!!! Some great ones too!!! Good luck, you'll never regret buying land!!! Go buy both my farms for sale!

Last edited:
I have heard some very good things about Suzanne Fountain Realty. Although I personally haven't purchased any real estate from them I have heard Paul Fountain who is a principal in the business knows recreation property(he has taken some very nice deer) and has sold a good number of farms to hunters. I do know Paul is an honest guy. We sometimes kid him about trying not to sell a farm because he tells you all the bad stuff about a property and sometimes it seems he is actually working against himself.......Good luck....a very exciting time for you I'm sure.

Suzanne Fountain Realty

33615 198th Street
Douds, IA 52551-9001 map
Phone:(641) 675-3410

I sent you a Private Message on who I'd recommend, I don't have any interest in who you choose JUST my opinion on who I've worked with that I like.

I have worked with and know Paul Fountain, a great guy and very knowledgeable about the whole SE Iowa region. He is not just a realtor, but a high level hunter, farmer and timber man himself. Something that I think is worth mentioning...Paul has been identifying and representing recreational farms for A LOT longer than most people who now "specialize" in recreational ground.

I know he has been in this segment for more than 15 years, maybe longer, while many have come to the recreational side in just the past few years as it got more popular. I bought my farm through Paul about 10 years ago now.

Rich Waite is another very solid guy in SE Iowa. He has Iowa Wildlife Habitat Solutions and is also a top notch hunter and land manager too. Rich is also a strong "timber" guy too, he actually managed the TSI project on my farm about 3 years ago now. His website is: http://iowahabitats.com/

I am sure there are others too, but I can personally vouch for both of these guys.

Don't get too far S. of Iowa City. Like SW of Fairfield. Guy that sold me my land saw me coming. Since,,,neighboring people have told me I landed in about the poorest hunting of the area. Experience hunting here has proved this true. Wish I had done more research. Won't say who sold to me...Talk to alot of people around the land first!

Top Bottom