Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

landowner fine

M Salow

Just heard an interesting story last night from my hunting area in NE Iowa.
A landowner wants to reduce the does on his property and he allows groups to hunt on it so he imposed a fine this year if you shoot a buck it has to be mounted if not big enough to mount then you pay him $100.00 otherwise you shoot a doe.
This sounds like a good deal to me to help in getting some of the does taken is this area
What do you guys think of this??
wavey.gif

My first reaction: "Is it legal?" I think the outfitter that leases the land around me has a set up like that, but he is being paid a fee to hunt in the first place so I suppose that makes it quasi-legal. Outfitters aren't controlled/registered/licensed/bonded so I guess thats no different than the land owner charging. Wonder if the IRS knows. Hmmmm.

Over all it sounds like a good idea. Bet its kinda tough to enforce.

The 'Bonker

As a landowner, I'd consider this in SE Iowa, or allowing doe only, or allowing a group during the bonus doe season. I know a neighbor that has also wrestled with the idea of how to get enough does harvested without losing young bucks. Other ideas?

we dont shoot bucks unless its a cull buck or for the wall if we dont see them we shoot does

All land owners should do this, especially for the shotguners its a crime the small bucks they shoot that could be 130 + or bigger the next year .Ever heard this , Dam we just don't see any big bucks anymore, (in back of their pickup is a pile of 70 - 100 inchers) we just can't figure out where they went, hey stupid your big deer are in the back of your pickup,
Daaaaaaa. Their are areas in linn and Johnson counties that the ratio is 20 to 1 and thats a fact........

I'm with Doemaster, shooting does is a heck of a lot of fun...a way to pass time while waiting for a big, mature buck!

I have friends who lease lands for oufitted hunting. Their lands are managed for trophy whitetails but they are equally concerned about killing enough does to keep the herd in balance. They let church groups, etc. conduct group hunts for does-only after they are done with the pay hunters. I would bet that many honest, sincere sportsmen could gain access to highly managed leased lands if they approached the lease holder and said that their small group would agree to only shoot does and would follow whatever rules the lease holder wants to use.

I know of a group that does basically the same thing. If you shoot a buck and you don't mount it, it's a $50 fine to the group. Also it's $50 if the buck's spread is inside the ears. They use the money to get landowners gifts.

Can you say earn a buck? Works in Wisconsin. I know these are fightin' words but when it comes down to it "MOST" hunters will not shoot the does that need to be.

What do you mean nobody wants to shoot does? Arrowing a seasoned, mature doe is the stuff dreams are made of. Buck Schmuck.

rockband.gif

Doemasters.......Deer hunting has a name

Top Bottom