Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Landowner gifts

deerhunter93

Does anyone give landowners gifts for allowing them to hunt? I haven't done it in the past but would like to this year to show my appreciation. What are some ideas of gifts?

I hunt two smaller private properties and I sent the owners a Christmas card with $25 gift card to Caseys in them. I wrote a little blurb thanking them and a pic with my archery deer.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was planning on giving some deer meat, but Unfortuantely, I was unable to fill my tag for 2014.

I would think it depend on the Landowner, But Deer sticks/steaks would be a great all-around gift if you don't know the Landowner really well especially if you get it made with cheese by the Locker.

If they are a farmer, I would think a nice pair of quality Wool Long underwear would be a nice gift for those Cold Times working outside.

Another Idea is you can make the gift. Offering a free certificate to be used for any task they would need help doing.

I even thought of having antler pens made up for bucks harvested that are not big enough to mount or out of sheds that were found on their property saying, SO and SO farms and listings the address and phone number on it.

I would just really depend on the person. Try to tailor it to their interests or you can ask for advice from those closest to them.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a gift card to a local restaurant. A night out for Ma and Pa goes a long way.

I make my landowner a calendar every year of photos from around his farm. Simple but they really appreciate it. I also made a custom cake knife this year for their daughter's wedding per the brides request. It was no charge, something they didn't expect.

The private I hunt, landowners don't care for deer so maybe check that first. I give them a turkey breast in the spring and they love it; unless they're just pretending! I love wild turkey and they know that, I think it makes it a little more special

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

I make my landowner a calendar every year of photos from around his farm. Simple but they really appreciate it. I also made a custom cake knife this year for their daughter's wedding per the brides request. It was no charge, something they didn't expect.

That's an awesome idea. I might have to try that out!

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

Anything to let them know you appreciate it is usually more than the next guy is going to do!

When we used to hunt for free we would pass the hat and put a credit on their electric bill.

I get all the landowners scheels gift cards each year as well as the meat from the first deer I take off their property since they love deer meat but don't hunt. Always very appreciative and they are all Very protective of their property for me

For the ground I bowhunt we get the landowners gift cards to a local restaurant/bar they like. The shotgun landowners get a thank you card with some summer sausage from Edgewood. Some of the landowners raise beef and don't care about deer, but there are a few older guys that really appreciate it since they don't get much deer meat and no longer hunt. You don't have to spend a lot of money, usually acknowledging the fact that you appreciate them and respect their ground goes a long way.

My neighbor permits me to hunt his place when I tire of mine. A couple of times I bought him a couple growlers of his favorite micro brew. Big hit.

I've done FFA fruit for some neighbors. Some I hunt, fish or trap on. Others I'm just maintaining neighborly relations. I think any gesture of gratitude can go a long ways.

We give our land owner summer sausage.. But he's also the neighbor so I usually go over and help him out with chores or bring over firewood.

We do it all, fresh caught fish, deer meat, /beef/ pork. Help out whenever and wherever we are needed. Haul wagons, bail hay, catch problem critters around the house or clear beaver dams.
We have known most of the landowners we hunt on since we were little kids so stopping by and chatting when they arnt busy goes a long ways. Few jugs of whiskey here and there for a select few.
We try to make ourselves available whenever and for whatever, cutting wood, loading hogs, building fence. My brother is a heavy equipment operator and im a welder so we do our fare share of work.
We also sit down and talk about deer, most farmers actually like the deer but they dont like seeing 100 deer out the back window, we do take does as we see fit to keep numbers where they need to be

It depends on which one. They all get some stuff I whip up in the fall, homemade wild blueberry jam, pickled carrots etc. Chocolates, coffee, teas, and such are good for the lady of the house. I am not afraid to give out some bottles of whiskey either, I seem to get to share in the emptying of the bottle with them anyways. Like shovelbuck, I use cam pics from their lands to make little photo books as well.

Deer steaks, a thank you card, and a hand shake has always worked for me. I gave one landowner all of the above plus a picture of the deer my 8 year old shot off of their property.

One landowner I always give about a pound of morels to and sometimes fresh bluegill or crappie fillets. Used to give him a gift card but he asked me not to.

I give gift cards to other ones.

I also like the calendar idea. I have one landowner that doesn't let anybody bow hunt but he always lets me run trail cams in. That would be a great idea for him!

Top Bottom