Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Landowner question

I think it depends on the rental agreement. Entire farm cash rented out, only tenant gets the tags. If only part of the farm is rented, or if the landowner still helps in farming decisions/practices, then both get the tags. Also if the tenant is the adult child of the landowner, then both get the tags. That's how I'm reading the regs anyway. Maybe I'm missing something tho, and wouldn't be surprised if I am. Doesn't apply to me anyway, so I guess if I'm wrong, no harm.

Only the landowner or tenant can get the free any-sex landowner tag and not both.

So in other words get my any sex bow tag an no land owners for bow, get my land owners tag for slug season then get my any sex tag for late muzzy? Does this sound right to you guys? If a guy was lucky enough can take three bucks in a year?
This looks like 4 buck tags? Am I reading this right?

1 state bow tag any sex
1 LOT bow any sex
1 LOT shotgun any sex
1 late muzzy any sex

This isn't right is it?

Last edited:
This looks like 4 buck tags? Am I reading this right?

1 state bow tag any sex
1 LOT bow any sex
1 LOT shotgun any sex
1 late muzzy any sex

This isn't right is it?

Still no... you can only get one any sex LOT.

1 statewide bow any sex
1 statewide gun season any sex
1 LOT any sex

Total any sex = 3

Also worth reminding you must hunt on the parcel of land that you registered with, meaning you can't go party hunting with your buddies on ten different peoples land if you only have a LOT tag.

Also worth reminding you must hunt on the parcel of land that you registered with, meaning you can't go party hunting with your buddies on ten different peoples land if you only have a LOT tag.
Unless you also posess a valid antlerless tag for that county...;)

From the DNR website:

You do not have to hunt the parcel that you register with. You just need to have one qualifying parcel to register with, then you may hunt it all. Edit: Meaning you may hunt all of YOUR land.

"Joe is a landowner and his farm unit is greater than 2 acres and contains several parcels, some of which are spread over a multi-county area. Which parcel number should he register?
A: Even though Joe has multiple parcels, he must register only once using a single parcel number to demonstrate his eligibility. Once registered, Joe may hunt with his LOT license(s) on any of the parcels he owns."

Last edited:
But the LOT can only be used for a deer taken from that LO's property.

Correct, but during shotgun season you can "party hunt" with others. If you shoot a buck on another property, someone else in the party must tag it with their any sex tag. Not saying I do it, or even like it, but that is the way the rules read.

Correct, but during shotgun season you can "party hunt" with others. If you shoot a buck on another property, someone else in the party must tag it with their any sex tag. Not saying I do it, or even like it, but that is the way the rules read.

Is that correct?? What exactly do the rules say? Can somebody clarify this scenario for me?

Say you get a first season shotgun tag and a landowner shotgun tag. Obviously during first season you could hunt statewide and party hunt because you have a tag but during the second shotgun season when your LOT is still good (good for both) can you hunt on land not your own? I would assume a LOT is valid ONLY on that property that is owned so unless you have another valid license you can't hunt somewhere else with a LOT.

I would think if you were stopped while hunting by the DNR on a different piece of property and all you had was a LOT then you would be ticketed.

Last edited:
Landowner tag can only be used to 'tag' a deer taken by the landowner/tenant from that specific property.

However, a landowner tag can party hunty with other hunters during the shotgun season, on other land. The landowner tag cannot be filled on other properties.

I think you guys are wrong. The regs say "It is illegal to use a LOT deer license to hunt on land owned or controlled by another individual.":

Landowner tag can only be used to 'tag' a deer taken by the landowner/tenant from that specific property.

However, a landowner tag can party hunt with other hunters during the shotgun season, on other land. The landowner tag cannot be filled on other properties.

Yep to your first response. Nope to the last part. As many others have stated, a landowner using their landowner tag cannot use that tag to hunt or tag a deer on anything but their land.

Top Bottom