Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Landowners - What would you do?

halielynn1

I own a piece of property in Eastern Iowa. I live on the property and have several food plots planted. I don't hunt my property until late muzzleloader season however I have been out setting cameras and watching the deer that are around. There are bow hunters in the adjacent properties, however no one is allowed on mine.

Today, I was sitting in my house and noticed 2 hunters walking over the ridge. I immediatlely drove down the hill to confrot them. I pulled up to them and both were carring bows with arrows knocked. I asked them what they were doing? They stated that they had shot a deer on the next section to the North of me and were trailing it. They did show me the blood which was dried up and not much at all. They told me that it was a giant buck and that it was shot in the back leg. They started trailing it immediately and jumped it twice. They can kiss that buck goodbye!

I explained that I felt that it would have been appropriate for them to ask permission before just assuming that they could trail their deer. I made it very clear that if this ever happened again that I would expect them to stop at the house and ask first.

I have several camera's throughout my property. I collected the flash cards and do not have a wounded deer on film however I do have one of them on film. I do realize that if the deer ran buy at full speed that I probably would not have a picture.

Do I turn them into authorities or have I done enough by confronting them?

What would you do?

I believe by law they can go and track their animal WITHOUT a weapon, however it would be courtous if they contacted you 1st.

Honestly, I think that you have probably gotten your point across just as well as law enforcement would. From what you've posted about seeing some blood, their story seems legit.

Don't get me wrong they were still trespassing and should have at least had enough courtesy to approach you and let you know what the situation was before just going onto your land, but if they seemed decent to you and you're confident that they were trailing a deer I'd let them go with your a-- chewing.

They can not have weapons on your land without your permission- however, if someone was chasing a buck, and they were on blood, I wouldn't call the cops- if they ever do it again without permission- then they would get my bad side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I believe by law they can go and track their animal WITHOUT a weapon, however it would be courtous if they contacted you 1st. </div></div>

Ditto...especially on the courteous part.

On a side note, without hitting an atery in the leg, a "ham-shot" is not usually lethal.

More than likley these guys hunt arround you often so it might make more sence to make friends of them instead of enemies of them. I understand you displeasure completely, but try to put yourself in their position. You just shot a big deer and it is getting away from you and you are doing your best to recover it. It may cross 5 or 6 farms before it stops. With a leg hit most advise to push the deer to keep it moving and bleeding rather than letting it bed down and stop the bleeding. With the type of land ownership that we have now it can be very hard to know who owns what field that you might have to cross in your tracking. So lets just get after it while we can still see the trail. I might think the same thing.

I am not saying that they were correct in not asking permission, but they proabably weren't really criminal tresspassers either. Two years ago I had a group of guys sneak onto the back side of my farm from a adjoining farm that they "maybe" had permission on. They made a drive right through my timber that I was planning to make later that day. I tracked them down and read to them from the book and made them belivers. They were all locals that had proably been doing it for years just because they got away with it and I hadn't caught them before. My farm also borders a large tract of public land and twice I have found guys on my land that claimed to be tracking deer. Both times they seemed like nice guys and good hunters that were not local, so I joined them and helped track. In one case we found the deer, a doe, not far from where I joined them and the other one we lost the trail. In both cases I met some nice guys who, just like myself, liked to hunt deer. I have seen a couple of them since and had nice chats with them and exchanged information about where we might find deer, and while we might not be fast friends we are at least aquainted and respected.

One other thing to remember that it could easily be you tracking a deer that crosses their land next time and it might be nice to have a little help and understanding. When we all work very hard to buy a place of our own we can get very possive of it and I do believe that we should be vigilant and aware of what is happening. I don't however think that we need to call the law or jump to the conclussion that we are being harmed or taken advantage of in every situation. We should access each one and act accordingly and if law enforcement is called for by all means call them and never put up with a tresspasser who is abbusive or beligerant on your own land but always use good judgment.

I agree w/ bowmaker. I know many people who carry thw @#@hole label around over being a little overprotective of their property. Im not saying trespassing shouldnt be handled, but I wouldnt want to lose the respect of the locals by being a little overly dramatic.

Thanks for your feedback. I am pretty easy to get along with. I do not like to be taken advantage of. I purchased this property so that I have a place to hunt and a place where I can take my kids to hunt. I pay the mortgage, therefore I feel that I get to make the decisions!

When I ask a landowner if I can hunt and they say "NO" for whatever reason, I do not label tham as an @$$hole! They own the land and have the right to allow me to be on it.

The other problem is that I have been informed that this individual has a history. He is also the type when he gets permission that he invites all his buddies.

All I ask for is a little respect. Come and ask me prior to just assuming that it's OK.

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: String Gun Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All I ask for is a little respect. Come and ask me prior to just assuming that it's OK.

</div></div>

Seems reasonable enough to me. I think you did the right thing.

Top Bottom