Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Largemouth prespawn question

Thefrgt10

PMA Member
I have been bass fishing for quite a while now but have really yet to utilize the spring prespawn bite which i know is a big mistake but the pit that i do most of my fishing on I can catch 2 to 3 pounders on all day on top water all summer. Sounds a lil crazy I know but this place is awesome but anyway my question is...Ive been reading up and they say that the prespawn usually begins when the water temp is between 55 and 62 degrees. So yeah...anyone have a rough estimate on about the date that this temp usually occures. I usually catch a couple of 5 pounders in there a year and I know there are some giants in there and i know that this will be time. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me its much appreciated.

Thefrgt10

Generally speaking the week before and after Memorial Day are target dates for WI and MN bass peak spawn, if you fish just before that window you should hit the peak spawn period. Bass usually will not come in in large numbers until water temps approach the mid 50's and will not start spawnin until temps are in the low to mid 60's and higher.

Crappies spawn just before bass, so if the crappies are on their beds, the bass will be shortly behind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crappies spawn just before bass, so if the crappies are on their beds, the bass will be shortly behind. </div></div>

this is a great way to guage the timing on the LMB spawn! the pattern i like to follow is looking a little deeper. but know the fish are near where they spawn. they tend to stage on main lake points, secondary points, and deeper structure adjacent to or very close to their primary spawning areas. there is usually no thermocline this time of year so the fish could be anywhere. but just before the spawn kicks in the fish go on binge and large reactive type baits seem to produce well.

personally i like to pull a crankbait along points and submerged structure like old road beds, bridges etc. big jigs in the timber, and i mean the 1 oz with a big pork trailor or something, and i like a big 3/4 to 1 oz double colorado spinner as a search bait looking for active fish.

as far as cranks go, lip-less seem to be killer early on.
with the jigs, id shoot for the shore line, and SLOWLY work it back to the boat, hit every stump and rock pile. they will be there. i also like to occasionally let it sit and dub it some.... stirr up a little dirt, that always helps!

Good luck and hope that helps some

It is just driving me insane having to wait this long. I inherited a small 2 man bass boat over the winter from a guy I did some work for so im real anxious to test it out. I actually fell about 15 feet off a ladder on february 4th and shattered my ankle into about 20 pieces...2 surgeries 22 screws and 3 plates later ive spent the last almost 2 months sitting on the couch watching fishing shows going insane instead of out in the woods shed huntin. Its been a long wait. I could really use about a week of 80 degree weather to get everything started early haha. Oh wishful thinkin but yeah thanks alot guys and if I happen to get into anything huge ill definately post some pictures for yall.

Matt

Top Bottom