Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Largest Herd ?????

Split_G3
knowing that it's that time of year, when deer really start to get yarded up, i was wondering what the largest herd of deer you have ever seen?

4 days ago i seen my largest, in a field at about 2:00 in the afternoon. i pulled off the side of the road and started counting, after counting a million times, because the dang things wouldn't hol still, they finally stood still long enough for me to get an accurate count of 33 twice. i have seen many herds up to 15-20, but this is the largest i can ever remember seeing. only 2 had antlers, small 4 point and 6 point(i think).

Ive been watching a group of 75+ the last couple of weeks. Cant wait to get in there for the sheds. Ive seen groups larger then this when it gets real cold.

135+ a few years back. 35 to 70 a couple different years. These counts were all in the same field. depending on the weather it is always good for a look at 15 to 20. It has gravel roads and houses on two sides. Amazes the town-folk that cruise after church on Sundays.
shocked.gif

I don’t know if this counts as a large deer herd, but I will share this experience with you anyway.

During the late ML season in 1999 I went out one afternoon to hunt a travel corridor about a ¼ mile west of the property line from a state park.

The travel corridor lead to a partially pick corn feed which the deer had been using heavily due to the extreme cold weather and deep snow conditions. I arrived in my stand at approximately 2:30 p.m. and stayed until sometime after 5:00 p.m. During this sit I counted 264 deer pass with 30 yards of my stand. From 2:30 until the time I left due to darkness there was nearly an endless procession of deer. No one was more surprised than I that there was not a really big buck in the bunch. But I must tell you it was great to see so many deer that close. It was an experience that I will never forget.
smile.gif

There is a spot about 3 miles from my house that is holding close to 200 of them right now. Funny how deep snow will push them right to a farmer's place complete with a couple grain piles and a few hundred round alfalfa bales.
ooo.gif

Back in the late '80's when I was shotgunning with my brother-in-law and his group, he and I watched a procession of 75 does go single file across a road. I'll bet they were stretched out in a line a half-mile long. It was amazing to see.

Wow!I couldn't amagine seeing some of those herd numbers.Though,I think I should,as they continue to claim,we have too many deer.
confused.gif
The biggest herd I've seen this year was around 7-8 deer,and that was on posted land.I've seen herds around 12-20 in the past,but those days are over in this area.

Hey Split, There is a place not too far from the house that the family visits often. Needless to say after 77 or so we stopped counting. I believe you know where I am talking about.
grin.gif

dirtball, i have been waiting on your response to this one. i knew you couldn't resist rubbing it in!
smirk.gif
your a lucky man

Top Bottom