Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Larry Zach shot a giant

Man oh man, what a stud of a deer. Cool to see all the photos and film of the buck and to see him in the moment of truth.

Congrats Larry
Kratz

The video of the main show with Bill and Larry shooting the film session was also very good. For those of you looking for pointers on photographing harvest shots, check it out.

Am I surprised? No. Am I jealous? Yes! Great buck "Old Buck", can't wait to see the painting you do of him!:way:

Its nice when a plan comes together. I have to say this will probably be one of my all time favorite shows and I feel very lucky to have had the chance to produce it. Larry truly loves what he does and his results prove it.

Thanks again Old Buck and I cant wait to do it again!

Season is young after all!!!!!!

Wow is all I can say. Great deer and great video. I love Larry's prints. Got 8 of them including one that is textured to look like an original. Any green score?

He looked like a MONSTER 3.5 yr old to me. My question is who shoots a 200" typical and not want to have it scored?

I agree, the deer looks young to me possibly even 3.5... needed another year.:D

Seriously though, no offense to Larry, but get real. Why the heck would you not put the tape to it?

I can totally see not having it officially scored, but what about in the garage with a few buddies and Marsha.

To say that you have no plans to score it is kind like a slap in the face to other hunters who have shot world class deer and DID score them.

Are you seriously going to tell everyone that you shoot a 7x6 typical and you're not gonna put the tape to him? I doubt it. I'd be to curious not too.

Congrats Larry on a great deer and congrats to Marsha on a great video!

I have my ideas why he doesn't want it scored but I will keep them to myself.But I am sure if I had shot that buck I would have been way more excited than he seemed to be.I have been jumping up and down after shooting 140'' bucks let alone one that pushes 200''.

To me, if he doesn't want to score his deer then I respect that. To each their own. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, either!! Congrats, Larry!!

Don't know if I'm more impressed by the deer or the fact he doesn't need to put a number on him. Congrats Larry.

Don't know if I'm more impressed by the deer or the fact he doesn't need to put a number on him. Congrats Larry.

I couldn't agree more!
I think it's hillarious that so many people are getting so frothed up about him not scoring that deer.

It's hard for some to believe, but 'the number' doesn't mean that much, or anything at all, to some hunters. Obviously to him, it scored 'big enough' and it will go down in his book as a trophy. 'Nuff said! ;)

After speaking with Larry this last year and hearing his desire to only pursue mature bucks and not being concerned with antler size, I'm glad to see him sticking by that. To some, the life and story of the buck is WAY more important then some number attached to head gear.

Congrats again Larry!!

To say that you have no plans to score it is kind like a slap in the face to other hunters who have shot world class deer and DID score them.

This is one of the most curious sentences I've ever seen on this board.

What did you mean by this exactly? I read it to say that by him not scoring this deer, it somehow takes away from or insults what others have done before him that chose to have their deer scored.

I could be wrong, but I would be that if you ask anyone who has been fortunate enough to shoot a 200" deer if they feel like they've been slapped in the face becuase Larry Zach is chosing not to score this particular deer, they'd look at you like you have 3 eyes.
If they answered yes, my question to them would be why? :rolleyes:

He doesn't have anything to prove and nobody to impress. Some guys like to have their deer scored as a status symbol. They think if they have enough high scoring deer they will be looked upon by others as a great deer hunter. I know a few people that have stumbled upon a 200incher. Some have even sought out notoriety for doing so. And now think they are gods gift to hunting and offer advice to us layhunters. BS.... Sounds to me like he hunts for himself, and that's how it should be done.

Last edited:
Okay I am a guy who doesn't usually score his deer in fact I have some P&Y bucks that I have never scored because I don't really care what the final tally actually is.

BUT, and it is a big BUT in my opinion, I have never shot a world class deer. Record books to me are more for the deer than for the hunter. I am amazed and fascinated by antlers. Scoring them is a way of quantifying what nature is able to produce, and I am disappointed that I may never know just how big this one was.

That deer was public property until Larry reduced it to his posession and now he has the perfect right to score it and keep it a secret, or never score it at all. It's his deer; his right. However, there are a whole lot of us out there that are deer crazy that really want to know, and I hope he takes that into account. It is about the deer, not about the hunter. Congratulations to Larry, no matter what he decides to do, he put a lot of time and money into getting that buck and I am happy for him.

Top Bottom