Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last 3 days of October Theory

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
well, i have had this theory for quite a while, but am interested to see what you all think.

Over the past 16 years, i have either shot a buck myself, or had a good friend kill a good buck on October 29th, 30th or 31st.

November kills pile up and happen every year, but i have noticed that those three days ALWAYS seem to be exciting, i get text messages, phone calls, emails.... etc.

i guess, for me, the last three October days seem to kick off the best hunting of the year. or, in other words, they are not the best days of the year, but begin the best few weeks of the year.

has anyone else seen this correlation?

I've said it before and will say it again.

There is no time in my neck of the woods, it's all good.

Nov. kills pile up b/c most people save their time to hunt then, deer are running willy nilly all over the place with the rut.

I like to hunt deer I know, not a buck that just shows up from parts unknown. (Not that I'd pass them up if they were good) and my best days are usually in Sept. and Oct., but then aagin, that's when i'm able to get out hunting.

I think your spot on with that statement. Bucks are up and cruising those last days of October hoping to find some of the first does that come into estrous. They are also very vulnerable to being called in. It's getting closer.....

My three best MN bucks have came on 9-28, 10-24, and 10-26. Not sure if thats what you were asking $.

I hunt that last week in Oct in ND every year. Between my dad and I, we usually have pretty good luck.

The last week and first couple of days in November are time in and time out the best for the start and possibly a nice buck.

Also like around Thanksgiving but be prepared to sit a long time.

First doe to come in heat will have every deer in the woods following her.

Give or take a few days you are right on Thomas.

I know those three days have been particullary good to a friend of mine.... In fact he swears the he has to be in a tree on Halloween. I am sure Meathunter will chime in on this if he sees this post.

The nice thing about hunting late Oct is that if you have a given buck in the area theres a good chance he is still there on a daily basis and is in some sort of pattern. Come prime chasing & breeding of November....all bets are off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The nice thing about hunting late Oct is that if you have a given buck in the area theres a good chance he is still there on a daily basis and is in some sort of pattern. Come prime chasing & breeding of November....all bets are off. </div></div>

I agree with you 100% DOR. I think the best time to kill a buck that you actually know about is right at the end of October. Sure, there are plenty of bucks you saw in the summer that have plain left your area, but the ones that stayed are going to be most vulnerable during this time frame. The cooler temps and pending rut can sometimes get a docile old buck out of bed before dark and heading towards food without only does on his mind.

Go get 'em boys, prime time is coming!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope it starts any day now... my time is limited! </div></div>

Had a hog of a buck chasing a doe last night by me. Stayed in the thick stuff though and I couldn't get a shot off. Must be getting close to that time!

90% of the bucks I have shot were from 10-29 through 11-5. I was more selective last year and hunted through January 10th for the first time but still...the activity around Halloween was the best. I know in SE Iowa of a a 160" and 170 class that were taken on Halloween and a few days before. I agree with you 100%!!

October 29 is when I killed my first buck...have always sworn by that time of year. I generally see lots of deer during those days...

After this year, I'm starting to tend to follow what Sask was saying about deer moving more than what people think. People kill more deer during November because they hunt more and are generally more aggressive during that time of year...and you have estrous in your favor. Early late can be just as good if you know the food/bed areas of a key buck you are after.

When November hits, I agree, I'm not sure you'll be able to count on any one buck you've seen stay in the area...I've seen more 'different' bucks this last year than ever before...

Not to sound cliche, but I have no quirks about hunting anytime...a 'bad' day hunting is better than any day at work - and I love my job! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone else seen this correlation? </div></div>

I believe I was one of those phone calls to you 2 years ago with the last buck I shot on the 29th (the most exciting deer movement day I've ever had...5+ different bucks grunting chasing the same doe, bucks coming into the growl... all within a 1/4 mile of your parents house). /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

i remember it!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

those are awesome 3 days!!!

Top Bottom