Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last few days- mornings or evenings?

IowaDave

PMA Member
For those that have been hunting mornings & evenings, which has had better buck movement the last few days?
I'm quickly running low on time and need to choose my sits this coming week wisely.
Of course I might have to go by the old adage- "The best time to hunt is when you can"! :D

Went out last night and didn't even get to my stand before 8 does came out into the cut bean field I was walking along. Needless to say, a small patch of grass along the edge of a field doesn't cover a 6'6" 310lb man very well. Got busted and noticed a nice buck just inside the fence line through the brush. The does came out all together about 4 pm, almost like they would during a late muzzleloading hunt. I'm guessing that most of the does have been bred, but the bucks are going to be following them. I'd say thy if you know where the does bed down during the day, in the morning, set up between the field they are feeding in at night and the bedding area. And in the afternoon, set up along the field they are coming out into. With the cold, they seem to be wanting to eat earlier in the afternoon. If I wouldn't have procrastinated my afternoon away, I would have been set up perfectly for where they would have come out.

I'm hunting Boone County.

I would say evening as well. Have seen a lot more deer this past week in the afternoon. Nothing on my morning sits. This morning was brutal. 5 degrees and nothin moving

I have been out both evenings this weekend, saw 12 does on Saturday no bucks and tonight i saw 5 does and 3 little bucks, Im thinking the big bucks are on lock down! South central iowa

guess it depands on location. i love hunting cold mornings. both of the last two days saw a lot of deer in the morning. 10 & 15. 10 were bucks. no grunting. a little sparing and following some does around but no chasing. looks like the rut is calming down in my part of SE iowa, but the cold temps had them all over my food plot.

Agreeing with 2-bucks, and to add on to my other reply, the 3 little bucks i saw didnt respond to grunts, heck they didnt even look up when i grunted at them!

Evenings for me. Had 8 bucks this afternoon and no does. They all responded to estrous can call. Everytime I used it I had another one would show up lol. Yesterday afternoon they were moving/eating in fields by 3pm. Had 3 bucks and 11 does.

After hunting tonight, the deer were moving like it was late season. Does were grouped up. Didn't see anything mature buck wise. Used a decoy tonight as well and it was like it was invisible.

Hunted Saturday and Sunday. No movement Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon saw a doe and fawn on cut bean field. Sunday, saw a doe and then a small 8 point (probably 1.5 or 2.5 yr old) in the morning. Grunted at the buck just to mess with him and he did come in closer looking for the "other deer". Then a doe and fawn in the afternoon across the road on the neighbor's ground, but only saw them when a car went by and spooked them. So, pretty slow weekend in the spots I was in with only a small buck, no shooters.

Four hours in a good bedding location this morning yielded at least 4 bucks and 5-6 does/fawns. Just nothing of any size in the buck category. Bucks were just kinda meandering around with the does but not really pursuing them.

Entertaining hunt none-the-less.

Top Bottom