Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last minute archery turkey

brknarrow

It has been a long year of bowhunting for turkeys this year. During the 1st weekend of the season I had a good tom hang up at 34 yards with a little brush in the way. I feel comfortable up to 30 yards so I watched him strut his stuff for several minutes before he moved further off. Then saw another tom rush in and big fight. This happened at 3:30 in the afternoon after I had been in the woods all day with only a bottle of water. Nothing close for the rest of the season until Saturday. Up at 3:30 and in my blind by 4:30. Heard a couple of short gobbles as daylight broke and then quiet. Heard some hen talk and then saw a couple of hens walk by. Half a hour later heard a gobble behind me and then two longbeards appeared 35 yards away. Gave a couple soft yelps and got them to look at my setup but they moved out into the middle of the field just out of my sight where they would answer my calls but not refused to come in. They finally moved off far enought that I could watch them strut their stuff and saw a couple of hens move in to them. Then I noticed another turkey heading my way. After the 1st turkey came two more. As they got to 30 yards I identified them as jakes. The closest one got to 20 yards and started to hang up. I pulled back to take the shot but rushed it and watched my arrow miss it clean. It stopped and 30 yards and looked my way from a little crest. This time I focused and everything felt good as I released another rage tipped arrow. It hit exactly where I was aiming and I watched it flip up in the air with feathers flying and hit the ground just over the crest. One of the other jakes had had enought and took off. The other just hung around while I started to pack up my stuff. He didn't leave until stepped out of the blind. Walked up to the crest and found the arrow that had hit the turkey and then saw my prize just 10 yards further. I had hit it high in the front and took out the boiler and exited thru the far wing. Double bearded jake. Sorry no pictures but no spurs and just happy to have filled my tag.

Despite violating MAN LAW...I still offer my congratulations! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom