Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last nights' hunt

Stu

I am trying to shoot a doe asap because I am in an earn-a-buck area because I am in a herd reduction area. I have scouted this one area for roughly a
month and a half now and found a really nice spot. I was set up over a
waterhole about 20 yards from the stand. I had two doe come right down the
trail and just before they get into my shooting lane, they stop and start
looking at a small grass field directly behind me. So I look back and the
next thing I know, here comes two guys walking down the field. They stop at
the edge of the field, which is only about 35 yards from my stand and start
talking. After about a minute, they start walking down toward the waterhole.
Well the does had enough of this and bust out of there. One of the guys says
really loud, look, there's a deer. They then continue down to the waterhole
and are looking at all of the tracks by the water. Might I say, these guys
are now about 18 yards from me in my shooting lane and I have my bow in my
hand.
mad.gif
One of the guys starts talking about putting up a stand in the area.
Well I had enough of this and I whistle to the guys. Both of them, not
knowing I was there, spin around and start looking for me, but can't see me
because I am still behind the tree. So finally I whistle again and start
waving my right hand around and they spot me. They both wave at me and say
rather loudly, "Sorry". Instead of leaving where they had come from, they
continue on the trail that the deer left on. Might I add that all of this
occurred at about 6:45pm. PRIMETIME!!! To top it off, I hear one of them
saying "I'm going to put a stand in that tree" and points to a tree next to
the trail that the deer entered the waterhole area. I now have no clue what
I am going to do. That was the spot where I was hoping to shoot a doe real
quick and then start hunting bucks. Back to the drawing board. I'm going out
tonight and do some more walking to try to find another spot. Sorry this is sooo long, but it really helps me to vent.
Thanks for listening!!!

Welcome to my world, it sure makes each and every hunt interesting, just wondering if anyone is gonna walk by you or not.
smile.gif
One thing I found is walk farther, other than that, there isn't much else you can do
smile.gif
goodluck

Public hunting is very frustrating at times to say the least. Hang in there hopefully you can hunt sometime during the week when most people cannot. Keep on trying.. Been there and done that all to often!!!!!
sniper.gif
(for idiots in the woods)

I understand you guys are frustrated but why are the other guys idiots????It is public hunting and it was not like they knew you were hunting there and it sounded like they were just scouting the area for a place to hunt also.Now if they had come in on purpose knowing you were there and spooked deer from you then I can see a problem,but the way you told it I am not sure I see any wrong doing.........

When you go scouting dont you kind of wonder through the woods. I mean i have walked up on a guy in the morning by accident bowhunting public land by accident and he was really nice about it and i guess shot a deer later that day. I agree there are idiots out there with no common sense. But most are the same as us just bad timing.

TRX and Gundog,

You guys are totally right. I was mainly just writing to get out some frustration. It really seems to help to get it out. The only thing that I didn't care for is that they seemed to be scouting at a primetime for whitetail movement. Doesn't it make sense to that as a bowhunter, the best time to scout is during midday when the chances of running into whitetails or other hunters are low, not during primetime when the chances are that you might run into or ruin someone else's bowhunting experience. And if a guy can't go during midday during the week, wait until you can scout during midday. That was really the only thing that I was upset about. I'm now back at the drawing board and walking farther back in.
cool.gif

I scout between 11-4 but you know some people arent as intelligent as myself. jk
cool.gif
But yeah the frustration is a killer, i know how it feels, its a good thing you didnt wast your time ragging on the guys who came through the timber. Stick to it.

If any of you have hunted Camp Ripley in MN you really know whats its like to be disrupted, or to disrupt other hunters. As you siad, a lot of the hunters are nice about it while other want to hurt you.

Top Bottom