Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last Second Buck

jhertel

PMA Member
Well I had a whole story typed up and then I went to add pictures and it deleted it all so I said not doing that again.

I tell you what I had one heck of a year. Learned if you get a picture, or video in my case, of a nice buck don't show the landowner even if they tell you they want to see because he told his brother-in-law that is a NR hunter and I lost my privleges because the brother-in-law fussed. Then a buddy and I were suppose to take a trip down south but with the late rain that ruined them plans. Then my bow season didn't fair as planned I hit nice buck and tracked for over a mile, had to deal with the biggest anti-hunter in the county to go look for my deer(even had to call the DNR) and still never did end up finding him. Tell you what that was a hard week for me. It all happened so fast that night, he came running, I shot him, and off he went. Talk about adrenaline rush. Enough of the bad, on to the good!!

My brother-in-law and I were driving around the last Sunday of shotgun season 2 looking for deer when we spotted some in a woods. It was pretty big woods and just us two hunting so he thought he knew where they would go and he set me up in that fenceline. Well not 15 minutes later there was about 10 does and 3 bucks running for me. The biggest buck in the back of course. Well they get to about a 100 yards and lock up. I shoot once and they have no idea where it came from and he's facing me so I dont have a clear shot but I shoot anyway and miss. Well somewhere between the next shots I hit him but not good shot so I try to put a lethal shot before he gets away along with trying not to hit a doe around him as there all moving. Needless to say I ran out of shells and called my dad to bring me shells and tell him that I hit a nice one. He was at home ten miles away. I followed the blood into another little grove by then we are all there I have more shells and we lay out the new plan. Brother-in-law gets into place and I start following the blood. The deer gets up about 30 yards ahead of me in some thick brush and I take two shots I wait a little and then he comes running along the edge of the grove barely moving. Fire once more and he comes into the woods and tips over. He's not massive nor very old do I think but it's been a long year in the woods with bow and not getting my hands on some horns so it was fine with me. I tell you what last sunday was the happiest I've been in a longtime. He's got some character and I know if he would've made it another year or 2 he would've been a stud but I am happy with him (plus I don't think he would've lasted up here anyway). He is currently my biggest for only being 18 but I love hunting and nothings better for me to get away from school and everything else going on. There wasn't anyone happier then me in the county that Sunday. My unluckiness ran out finally. Biggest buck I've ever shot and we'll wait to get a score once I get him back from the taxidermist. BBD!!!!! Thanks for looking. Good luck late season muzzy boys and BE SAFE!!
11pointerandtrapping019.jpg

11pointerandtrapping020.jpg

11pointerandtrapping021.jpg

11pointerandtrapping022.jpg

11pointerandtrapping023.jpg

11pointerandtrapping018.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong but you don't get that much mass and character by being a young deer , either way Congrats on a great buck .

He didn't have a very big body and his teeth looked pretty big yet but maybe I'm wrong....wish I would've taken picture of his teeth.

Top Bottom