Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last Weeks Trip

risto2351

Last week a couple of friends and myself took a little trip West and had a blast.

The first morning my buddy had two birds down by 9:30.

He had never shot a bird before and at 6:30 I heard wing beats from one crossing the river and then he was right on us. 5 yards from the blind and wham he had his first bird ever. The bird was so close to the DSD decoy that I told him repeatedly that if he shots it he buys it. :D

At 9:15 we were going to move when I see a jake to my left and his eyes get wide and points to my right Tom number two coming in. He looks at me and says I want a whiter one to shoot you shoot it.
I reached down picked up his gun and said you better shoot your second one when he gives you a chance. Ok he said.

He was tagged out by 9:30 on our first morning.

DSC08583.jpg

We met up with Adam and Dana and they had two more to add to the total.

DSC08589.jpg

That night we went out around 5 and split up in two different directions. Adam and Dana went one wat Scott and myself went the other.

After about an hour and a half we saw a flock moving from in front of us to the right. They were working away from us so I gave them a few yelps and two decided to investigate. There were three jakes behind them and then four or five boss gobblers.

Being an equal opportunity harvester I decided to take one of the two with my bow. I put the first shot an inch over his back. He started to walk away and I figured why not. I picked up the gun and took a shot at him. Missed. WTF. I shot again. WTF. Looking at my buddy whom was hiding in the corner fingers in his ears thinking I had gone wild I had one last shot at the ole boy running away trying to sidestep my every shot. Game over buddy.

The whole time the other Tom with him just stood there looking while the flock also just stood there. They just milled away like nothing had happened.

When we got back to the vehicles Dana had also shot another Tom and Adam had harvested one with his bow.

Me with my decathalon Tom. :D

DSC08596.jpg

First day with our seven birds.

DSC08602.jpg

I had one tag left out of the four and I wanted to shoot one with a bow.
We were set up and ready to go at first light when the roost of thirty birds started going crazy.

We were not as far to the East as we had wanted but we were hoping to draw one last bird over to our location.

I heard a hen really yelping so I cut her off and yelped even louder.
My buddy looked out the window and at me saying here he comes.
I could not tell how white his tail fan was looking for a real mature Merriams but when he came to the front of the blind in full strut looking it seemed right through us my partner whispered he is pretty white buddy.
I said close enough to white for me. :D

He stopped at the Pretty Boy and I let her rip. He took off running with my arrow in him. If you read my first bird that I recovered. It took some time to find him. I thought here we go again. :confused:

We waited an hour and went to look for him. He was right in the middle of a plum thicket still alive. And was he pis#ed off.

I tried to get at him but could not find a opening to squeeze an arrow through. He found an opening and for those of you that think you can catch a wounded turkey GOOD LUCK.

I watched where he ran to and waited for a half hour. I went in the area that I had seen him last and put another arrow in him.

Last tag filled by 10 on day two and my second with a bow this year.

What a trip.

Thanks for reading my post.

Thanks Scott, Dana and Adam for an unforgettable trip. :way:

DSC08608.jpg

Now on to Iowa to try and fill my last tag.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite Tony! Was an awesome trip! Thanks for organizing everything and making sure everything went smoothly! Kinda hard to be serious with too overgrown 10 yr olds, who act like they are 6!:drink2::drink2::drink2::drink2::drink2::drink2: But ya did good!!

There is still a "Goldtip" as well as "Blacktip" and also "No-Tip"! I have been called many other things as well! :D Again, fellas, it was great to hang with you all and hope to do it again soon!

Next time I will try to keep WhiteTip in line.

That is next to impossible. :D

I think that is why it was so much fun.

I can never watch Caddyshack again and think of that laughing little

gopher after you missed in the same light again.

Next year can not come soon enough. :way:

Thanks for the invite Tony! Was an awesome trip! Thanks for organizing everything and making sure everything went smoothly! Kinda hard to be serious with too overgrown 10 yr olds, who act like they are 6!:drink2::drink2::drink2::drink2::drink2::drink2: But ya did good!!

You never doubted me for a minute did ya? :moon:

Top Bottom