Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Corn Harvest ??

HuntNFish

Just wondering how you guys are going to adjust to the late corn harvest. Working for a major seed corn company and in the fields daily I am here to say that this harvest is going to be later than we have ever seen. Probally not even getting started until the rut's fully underway. I sense alot of the does will be bred in the fields this year. Any adjustments??, anybody hunt the fields...

I heard they won't start picking for 2-3 weeks. Does that sound right? I did see a corn field yesterday that was being picked or started. Might have been a test cut or something. I don't have any options other than hunting in the timber but I would think it will mess things up for the rut if there's allot of corn standing.

I remember wet years when corn was still standing after Christmas...it does get challenging.

I find they are most attracted to corn the minute they combine it...and leave a trail of fresh corn leftovers.

No question the standing corn provides a huge amount of cover and they don't have to leave it.

They'll just be bigger next year... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Most Corn in the country is currently around the 30% mark anything more than 15.5% gets dried this means buying LP for the farm. Under the best drying days we might get 1pt / Day. Soybean harvest is going good might be 30% done here in east central part of the state.Corn is standing good and we will be harvesting past Thanksgiving so plan accordingly...

Our neighbor is always picking corn into December so shouldn't be anything new here. He gets the deer moving for 1st season shotgun.

My landowner told me today that his corn was 27% and that they will be combining hopefully next week. He said that they will have to take it out soon so that it doesnt fall on the ground. The realy bad part is the cost of drying it this year. He said they will probably have dry most of their 1900 acres.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He said they will probably have dry most of their 1900 acres. </div></div>

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I feel for the farmers this year. One weather extreme to the next...

i know some elevators are buying 22% corn right now, mainly because they need some corn....

up in this part of the state it looks to be right on schedule.... so i would anticipate a regular harvest up here. good thing is the corn on my ground was chopped for silage, so its already out!!! ha!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

good thing is the corn on my ground was chopped for silage, so its already out!!! ha! </div></div>

Same here. Still some in the field but 80% is out.
The beans are another story. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Heard family and friends around me saying they should be into the corn in the next 1 to 2 weeks. Maybe a little later than the last few years, but the last few have been a little dryer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> good thing is the corn on my ground was chopped for silage, so its already out!!! ha! </div></div>

That's not a good thing in my book. Chopping silage puts EVERYTHING in the wagon with very little waste grain to tempt the deer later in the season. Just a personal bias, I guess.

Our beans are drying out, not quite ready to combine yet, though soon. I think our corn is headed for a somewhat normal harvest date, maybe a week to ten days later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> good thing is the corn on my ground was chopped for silage, so its already out!!! ha! </div></div>

That's not a good thing in my book. Chopping silage puts EVERYTHING in the wagon with very little waste grain to tempt the deer later in the season. Just a personal bias, I guess.
</div></div>

Can't agree more but to me that is a good thing.
They will need to hit the plots then where I will be waiting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will need to hit the plots then where I will be baiting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

There, fixed it for ya! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif JK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will need to hit the plots then where I will be baiting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

There, fixed it for ya! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif JK </div></div>

Come on Mods can he do that? Cheater. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

We hand shelled the field that we thought would be ready first on Monday. It was still testing 35 points and when you actually get into the fields to harvest you will usually pick up a couple of points.....So it is going to be a long year...

Last week in the morning I drove into town and the farmer had started harvesting soybeans in a fields by me on I-380. It was probably like the deer smelling a warm cup of coffee, as they were all out there in that field that night after the field was combined.

My daughter and I counted 25 doe out in one hay field last night.

Top Bottom