Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

late fall plots

N

norbecker

I have one more plot to fill up and i don't know what to put in. i have one plot of corn, one of rape seed, and for the third i was thinking oats, BFO, or rye. I have not had experiance with any of the three, anyone have any imput? also has anyone fount BFO to be that much more hardy than plain oats? Thanks guys, i can wait to plant my late summer plots.

I'd add winter wheat to your list but I'm always a fan of rye, more cold tolerance than oats or wheat. The turnips are also a good bet- they can be planted a little earlier than rye or wheat so it may make a difference on when you have time to plant.

I was also thinking winter wheat after i made my last post. My goal is to get deer on to the farm after all the crops are out, and we will be hunting mid nov. threw mid dec. just south of minneapolis. do you think deer would hit turnups this "early" in the winter?

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to get deer on to the farm after all the crops are out, and we will be hunting mid nov. threw mid dec. just south of minneapolis. do you think deer would hit turnups this "early" in the winter?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you plant forage turnips and rape they should be a good draw right after the first frost, which will "sweeten" them.
If you plant turnips of the "root" type like Purple Top turnips, they most likely won't eat them until all other food sources are gone. For me that was in late Dec. and early Jan.

I have planted BFO for the past 3 years with good results. This past season I mixed in Chicory like they tell you in the commercial and once the oats went to seed the deer stayed and ate it. I broadcast the oats in late August mixed with 20 10 10, drag it in and pray for rain.

any information on where to by "forage turnips" also what does the plant look like, i am picturing a leafy plant a foot tall? on a side note the new plots i worked up a few weeks ago are getting dry and breaking down to the pint i can start working it with a disc. the ground a tall grass to start out with earlyer this year and i can't belive how tuff it was to work up. we had a 14' disc ripper behind a 175hp john deere with 4 wheel drive and it took a long time to work up a little area, but i have a feeling it will be well worth it. Happy Farm'n

[ QUOTE ]
any information on where to by "forage turnips" also what does the plant look like, i am picturing a leafy plant a foot tall? on a side note the new plots i worked up a few weeks ago are getting dry and breaking down to the pint i can start working it with a disc. the ground a tall grass to start out with earlyer this year and i can't belive how tuff it was to work up. we had a 14' disc ripper behind a 175hp john deere with 4 wheel drive and it took a long time to work up a little area, but i have a feeling it will be well worth it. Happy Farm'n

[/ QUOTE ]

They can vary in ht from 8" to 24" depending on the type. Remember brassicas love nitrogen.

Order turnips

it appears that the QDMA forum is down again so try this for a better view of
forage turnips: Forage turnip pics

Pic of growing brassicas

I am useing the new wintergreens brassica blend from whitetail institute. Everything else they sell seems to work for me so I thought I would try them. I used biologic maximum 2 years ago and they worked good also but not until late December.

Top Bottom