Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzz and moon phases...

I've been hunting the late muzzleloader season for many years. I love hunting with muzzleloader, and even used it exclusively during shotgun season in the 70's. My experience has showed me that snow effects deer movement more than anything. I remember years of deep snow for late season that put deer on their feet early in the afternoon; even when being pressured. We would make drives on various farms all day then go on stand for the last two hours and see countless deer. Many good bucks! On years with little snow; the deer waited until dark to feed. Even if not pressured. The cold temps seemed to affect us hunters more than it does the deer.

I've been hunting the late muzzleloader season for many years. I love hunting with muzzleloader, and even used it exclusively during shotgun season in the 70's. My experience has showed me that snow effects deer movement more than anything. I remember years of deep snow for late season that put deer on their feet early in the afternoon; even when being pressured. We would make drives on various farms all day then go on stand for the last two hours and see countless deer. Many good bucks! On years with little snow; the deer waited until dark to feed. Even if not pressured. The cold temps seemed to affect us hunters more than it does the deer.
I agree! The late season has always been better for me. Snow has always been the factor when it covers up the food source and push's them to the wind blown flats. Seems that even when its cold they still scatter to feed meaning that they don't follow the same path. Just my experience thats all.

Top Bottom