Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzz Success

Slabman

It was a rough bow season for me with a lot of BIG deer success for those around me but I was invited to hunt some property in southern Iowa. Monday morning a friend and I walked some of the public and I had an opportunity at a dandy buck that was hauling through some open bottomland. Two shots would have been great. After my first, a miss, he stopped at 90... Oh well.

Fast forward to Tuesday night. We left this field Monday as the wind was not right for it but Tuesday was perfect. I set into a fenceline at a little after 2pm. At 3pm a doe popped out and ran straight for the standing beans. Ten minutes later 3 does did the same and made their way to the beans. Behind them was a good buck. I am not used to seeing decent antler during late muzzle at all let alone at 3pm. I put my scope on him and thought he was a mature 7pt I had seen during the bow season. He stepped into the lane and I let 'er bark. 128 yards. The shot was not as ideal as I was looking for but if it weren't for luck I would never harvest a buck again. Head down he went 60 yards and piled up. He was the buck I thought but was actually an old mature 8 that the landowner knew about for a while. Fair genetics by his standards but a brute by mine. Blessed to have the opportunity.
picture.php

picture.php

It was a rough bow season for me with a lot of BIG deer success for those around me but I was invited to hunt some property in southern Iowa. Monday morning a friend and I walked some of the public and I had an opportunity at a dandy buck that was hauling through some open bottomland. Two shots would have been great. After my first, a miss, he stopped at 90... Oh well. Fast forward to Tuesday night. We left this field Monday as the wind was not right for it but Tuesday was perfect. I set into a fenceline at a little after 2pm. At 3pm a doe popped out and ran straight for the standing beans. Ten minutes later 3 does did the same and made their way to the beans. Behind them was a good buck. I am not used to seeing decent antler during late muzzle at all let alone at 3pm. I put my scope on him and thought he was a mature 7pt I had seen during the bow season. He stepped into the lane and I let 'er bark. 128 yards. The shot was not as ideal as I was looking for but if it weren't for luck I would never harvest a buck again. Head down he went 60 yards and piled up. He was the buck I thought but was actually an old mature 8 that the landowner knew about for a while. Fair genetics by his standards but a brute by mine. Blessed to have the opportunity.

You're not hunting Marion county by chance are you?

Negative. This was in Wayne county. A lot different from the Grundy, and Story counties I am used to.

Top Bottom