Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzzleloader Movement Update

risto2351

I know we had a movement update for Bow Season.

I was wondering what everyone that is late seson muzzleloading has been

seeing for bucks and does with this nice weather?

I am going to be hunting from tonight through the 3rd. I will keep you posted and update later tonight. The weather will be absolutely no help.

Went out for the first time this season yesterday afternoon. Deer started moving about 3:50 and were super skittish. Even though this property and 3 of the 5 bordering properties didn't have a shot fired on them during the gun seasons the deer were still very nervous when feeding. I was setup on a food plot near heavy cover and a very large tract of timber. I saw 20-25 different deer moving throughout the area with 9 different bucks. No mature animals except one very mature doe. Also saw 2 yearling shed bucks so be careful while doe hunting.

Pulled 2 cards last friday midday. Both of the cams are on standing beans and I have a ton of pics, but almost all of them are 5:30 PM - 7AM or DARK :D

2 shed bucks, lots of does and 15-20 different bucks (as far as I can tell). I have scouted almost every night that season has been going, and the daylight movement is slow. Deer are showing up at last light and when I scouted this weekend at first light, they were already off the fields. I will sit this weekend, but don't expect much. I've kind of made up my mind that unless I pin down a old stud, I think all the bucks are getting a pass to next fall. I don't really have any "cull" bucks to get rid of, so I'm fine with seeing them live another year. I do have a couple of new bucks on the beans that are dandy young 10's. I really hope they stick around for the fall. Fun to watch them, that's for sure.

How about you Risto? Any luck?

I have been out a few times and from what I am seeing there are zero mature deer up and moving before last light in my area. Zero deer drives on this ground and a small corn and bean plot. I am seeing plenty of deer, young does and fawns and a few small bucks but I have yet to see a mature doe or buck. :(

I've been out every night, except for Christmas and Christmas eve, either scouting or hunting. Deer are hitting the fields the last 10 minutes of light, if they are hitting them at all. I've seen one Shooter buck the last 5 minutes of light on the 23rd and of course I missed him @ 220 yds. Cameras are showing decent doe activity in staging areas leading to main food sources from 4:00pm on. But little to no adult buck activity till well after dark.

Dedgeez - "I've kind of made up my mind that unless I pin down a old stud, I think all the bucks are getting a pass to next fall. "

The above statement kinda sums my attitude at this time also. I'll be pumped to see a 3.5 or older but most likely will let them go till next fall unless it's a 150+. Really wanted to limit myself to 150+ this season and see no reason to deviate from that self-imposed goal now.

Last edited:
I havent hunted yet but my brother shot a huge 5 year-old 8 last night on a farm with minimal pressure. Im going down new years day to hunt for a week

How about you Risto? Any luck?

I have not been out yet.

Was going to go Mon. - Tues. but received a call from

a good friend asking if I wanted to go goose hunting so I

took him up on it instead. My daughter has not been goose hunting yet

and she tagged along. Planning on making a little trip here shortly

and will let you know how it goes.

It has been a great year so far and anything else at this point is just

icing on the cake. :way:

I went out tonight, still trying to fill my archery tag. I'm set up on a picked bean field edge and some thick stuff. I only saw 3 deer, all within 15 minutes of dark.

Though hunting may be tougher than most would like, I'm glad the critters are getting a break. It's hard to believe anything could have made it through last years Winter. This weather is deserved.

Though hunting may be tougher than most would like, I'm glad the critters are getting a break. It's hard to believe anything could have made it through last years Winter. This weather is deserved.

I completely agree. This weather is a blessing, not only for deer but for everything else as well, espescially pheasants and quail! Also, I saw quite a few deer up and moving tonight while driving around...nothing big though.

My thoughts exactly. I've talked to quite a few hunters this past week and it's been slow for all of them. Even if it would just drop 15-20 degrees for a couple days they'd feed. Then it can warm back up.:D

Been out 6 different days 3 different time periods, 3 different stands. It's been going down since day 1. 1st time out saw 18 deer over 3.5 hrs, one shooter out of range. 2nd, 10, all doe. 3rd-5th, 2 doe. 6th, today, 5 hrs of nothing.

Went out last night. Best movement I've seen so far. Saw over 20 deer sitting on a hidden food plot/staging area. Shot a good 5 1/2 yr old 8 pt bully buck. Hopefully have some pics up later today.

beans, beans, and beans are the key. sat last night and harvested a mature doe....was waiting on a mature buck that was working his way towards me until a coyote cut him off. From there it became a doe hunt for the freezer. Saw 50 deer or so last night, every one of them was in standing beans or picked bean fields. Had 12 does and yearlings inside 100 yards and all the rest were in surrounding fields that I can bino into. Might get in a Saturday morning, Sunday afternoon and Monday morning and after noon and from there looks like my season with the muzzleloader might be over with.

I haven't seen anything mature, plenty of does, but I think the temperature is just allowing them to wait later to come to the food.

Tough hunting all the way around.

Get out there and glass the fencelines next to big timbers! I found a nice 8 today and tried to put the sneak on him.... Well the sneek failed thanks to unseen does, but by the time he hit the other road he had a 170 inch 10 with him. Wish I would have found him before I went in on the other one! Oh well it was fun none the less and getting out on a nice day like today made it even better!

In the stand by 6:15am this am, saw 8 doe crossing rd near my timber at 6am going to bed. That's all I saw. They seem to be moving into bed way too early this wk.

Top Bottom