Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzzleloader regs.

B

Blind Sow

As IaCraig stated the only time party hunting for deer is legal is during the two shotgun deer seasons. It is illegal for both bow and muzzleloader seasons.

Party hunting being you can shot someone else's deer as long as they are present in your hunting party and can tag the deer within 15 minutes.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Ran across a fellow who has taken 9 deer this year, 5 with a bow and 4 during shotgun season....he's been "party hunting" during bow season filling other peoples tags, and he'll do the same during late blackpowder season. Just another case why this type of hunting should be discontinued. Once the door has been opened it can't be stopped and just gets worse....sort of like being a little pregnant...

We have no intentions of filling each other's tags. We just wanted to do small two and three man drives, filling our own tags. Blindsow's interpretation of party hunting does not mention driving deer. However, according to IACraig a Polk County officer says you cannot. Does anyone know where the law lies?
Thanks guys.

Chadwick, What county are you hunting??? I have a list of conservation officers at home and will post the phone number of your county so you can call him directly.

My question to him would be: If you fill your tag, can you help drive deer to your buddies if you do not carry a gun (is the stub a valid hunting license once the tag is used?) Technically pushing deer without a gun is participating in the hunt,so I doubt it.

IaCraig

TIP hotline as soon as I can get someone else to verify the rumors...

Assuming you are hunting iowa, and if your definition of party hunting is people filling each others' tags, the answer is no.
See - http://www.state.ia.us/government/dnr/organiza/fwb/enforcmt/deerhunt.htm

However, I have heard different interpretations of the fine details of to "party hunting" The Polk County game warden told me that you can not even push deer to hunting buddies during muzzleloader and bow seasons, because that also constitues party hunting. Personally I think he'd write you a ticket for taking a leak in the timber. A few years ago a different game warden completely contradicted the Polk Count guy, so if you need fine details I'd suggest you call the DNR on a ruling.

IaCraig

[This message has been edited by IaCraig (edited 12-12-2001).]

Top Bottom