Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

late muzzy excitement

JRudd

Aim small miss small.
To start off, working nights sucks... but it has its perks too! I can pretty much hunt whenever I want depending on the energy I have.. ie- coffee lol!

I decided this am would be a good day to scope out a few properties, and see if I could make a move on something.. many of my properties are ones where binos come in handy and spot and stalk is very do able.

After seeing only afew does, and a small Buck , I decided I'd go for a little walk and see what happened. Checking the wind, getting it in my face, and surveying the land to see what my best option would be and how to execute the hunt.

Finally, I had a plan! And my thoughts were. If this works, I'm callin in sick and throwing a party! Bucks get big by being smart... and flying solo is a tough gamble to get a shot in many cases.. but what the hell! I have my statewide tag yet so let's make it happen!

As I crest the hill, check the wind, and look at my backdrop to make my approach, I thouht back to those dreams I that every young and old man have where things happen almost to perfectly! And that was when the first deer made her appearance! A 2.5yr old slick head. Stood up, looked at me not 20 yards away, and trotted off across the grass... whew! My heart was racing, in anticipation of a Buck being bedded with her but no luck!

So I crept on, avoiding crunchy snow, and thorn bushes. No sooner did I reach the timber line, and I saw a body moving slow through the thicket. 5 yds at a time, and crouched low.. I knew it had to be a buck. He wouldn't sit still. When if I stopped, he kept moving, when i walked he'd stop and crouch again. Thinking that he may be trying to lay down for me to walk past, or creep out after I stop. He was trying to fool me! This went on for about 30 yds, and I never got a look at his head gear until he leap.ed over a down tree! I knew instantly, he was a shooter! Still no clear shot, and nothing opening up ahead either....

Just then, a buck stood up! 30yds, and shoulder exposed! Hammer cocked and scope centered.... thought for a sec- "wait, be patient. He's not the one I'm after." I put the scope up on his head, he was a solid 130" 8 with busted off 3's.... and I knew he was much smaller than the other buck ahead. So I let down the hammer, and let him leave as easy as a jumped deer can. He ran back where I came from so no harm in the hunt. Or so I thought...

Another 5 steps and I heard the timber erupt with crashing! Thinking, a herd had just busted out, I looked ahead to see the mega buck hauling the mail out the other side of the thicket!!! F#@$! There he went, scope on him praying for a clearing and him to stop to look back... but none such luck!

All in all, I had an excellent hunt. That might have lasted a total of 20-30 mins from when I got out of the truck to when I got back. Kicking myself a little for not plugging that 8, but its hard to pull the trigger on a 135ish buck when I'll be in southern IA next weekend. Wish I could have had a clear shot at the big boy.. if he wasn't 170" Id be surprised...

Thought I'd share my excitement:)

Still a heart pumping experience. Ill be out tomorrow - with this cold
Front they should be moving and large groups at that!

Gets the adrenaline pumping when you know there is a monster right there. I too am planning on heading out for this cold snap good luck to ya and hopefully you get lined up with a shot on that big guy

Top Bottom