Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Food Plot

sego60

I was wondering if there was anything that I could plant this fall that would grow enough to be a well established plot by late December and January? I have got a spot in a corn field that I would like to plant as soon as the corn is taken out. I just need to know if there is any thing I should be looking for to bring the deer to the plot.

I have been targeted on here for being a downer, but with 90's still forecast for the end of Sept,,you don't have to worry about the ground getting too cool. Problem is,,will it rain enough to saturate the soil? I have rye sitting waiting in a least 8 inches of dust. My former rape,and radish,and clover plots have burnt. Rye is the only hope. It will germinate in very cool soil, but not cool dust. Who knows what will come with this crazy weather? No change for now.Heat Dome forecast to be with us through Sept.

I have been targeted on here for being a downer, but with 90's still forecast for the end of Sept,,you don't have to worry about the ground getting too cool. Problem is,,will it rain enough to saturate the soil? I have rye sitting waiting in a least 8 inches of dust. My former rape,and radish,and clover plots have burnt. Rye is the only hope. It will germinate in very cool soil, but not cool dust. Who knows what will come with this crazy weather? No change for now.Heat Dome forecast to be with us through Sept.

Don't know where you are looking but I see 70's and lower coming up. Yes It is dry but We can only do one of two things: plant it and wait for rain or listen to the end of the world coming and not plant with a possibility that a stray storm hits and our plots are off to the races.
I will and have went with the former. Mine are sitting and waiting. Not much I can do about the weather but I am at least ready and when the time comes they will grow. Your option to.
Good luck.

So what type of seed should I look to plant? The corn is still in the field but hopefully by mid October the corn will be out. I cant even get in to work the ground until the corn is out. I have the ability to water it weekly. I just need to know what types of food plot mix would be the best to put in there that will grow in that short period of time and will attract deer to the plot in late December and January.

If it were me, and I am doing this, I would go with something like rye or oats, or even winter wheat, might be kind of limited on choices at this point

If it were me, and I am doing this, I would go with something like rye or oats, or even winter wheat, might be kind of limited on choices at this point

Same here. Rye will grow into the colder temps. Check the temps going forward and if it is to cold stick with just the rye.

I have large areas planted with rye and rape,in dust waiting also. My former rape and radish that grew large in July, are now on the fade,,but the deer are eating them, so at least in their decline they are doing some good. With the ground as warm as it is I think it will be a long time until it gets too cool for rye. I am not wating for the end of the world, but I do think the climate is becoming more severe,drought or flood.Little in betweens. The western drought pattern, that has been going on for so many years, I also believe is having it's impact.

Top Bottom