Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Muzzleleoader Tactics

sp69

PMA Member
I will getting my first opportunity to hunt with a muzzleloader during late season.

Could anyone please further explain their tried and tue methods. I am concerned about how long I can last out without getting too cold.

I was intrigued by a recent comment about digging into a snow drift for concealment.
Any other ideas???

While I will spend the time neccesary for success I am wanting to stay out of a tree stand as much as possible during the colder days.

Thanks to all on this website for the opportunity to share information.

if there's snow, still hunt, still hunt, still hunt. do so quietly and you'll be amazed how many big deer you can get pretty close to. i should also mention that where i hunt it's very hilly and i can sneak up and peek over the other hill very easily so this may not work in a flatter area. i usually take a step every minute or so, sometimes longer if the snow is crunchy...it gets very intense if you're in the middle of a bunch of deer, or at least i think it does! if you're not up for still hunting find a good place where they're feeding and wait it out. secluded corners of corn or alfalfa fields work wonders. just dress warmly.

I agree with muddy 100%. I also like to place a stand or two around a stand of cedars, pines, or heavy cover where deer are likely to bed out of foul weather. When they do move, they seem to move directly to a feeding area most of the time. At least in the afternoon hunt. Late season muzzleloader is my favorite.

Top Bottom