Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Muzzleloader

M

MegaBucks

What are your favorite methods of Late Season Hunting? Terrain.fieldedges.bedding areas.food sources..corn..soybeans.Stands..Ground blinds..stalking, drives?

I hunt with a friend of mine and usually we sit over the food source. We dont have a lot of timber to hunt so we position ourselves between the bedding areas and food source. I will sit all day if I can stand the cold!!

[ QUOTE ]
I hunt with a friend of mine and usually we sit over the food source. We dont have a lot of timber to hunt so we position ourselves between the bedding areas and food source. I will sit all day if I can stand the cold!!

[/ QUOTE ] Thats about what I do unless it is really cold and the deer aren't moving (which is what usually happens after shotgun season in my area) I will try and sneak through some areas.

I've found that the colder it is the more the deer move to the food source. I love those sub-zero days!!!! The big boys have to eat.

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD!

Pupster

late muzzleloader has got to be my favorite time to hunt deer because they are so predictable, i love to find the hot food source in the area and hunt their staging areas and the field edges.

One area I hunt has quite a few ridges. I like to still hunt along the one ridge and watch the ridge and hillside to either side. Particularly if there's snow.

I move extremely slow and rest against trees and glass with binos. I've shot three deer this way, two of them while they were bedded down.

Only bad part is hauling them up out of the valleys/ravines. They stand up and tumble to the bottom.

these are all good plans and will work
but if i had a choice
id be in my stand by 1 or 2 pm with a shot to and across an open field.
deer eat a lot this time of year and sleep. just my thoughts
speaking of food
im hungry now
grin.gif

then maybe ill take a nap
evil.gif

I am going to hunt as many fields as I possibly can in the evening, trying to find which one they are hitting because it seems like they group up and kind of stick to an area, and one field may be hot and the next field could be dead. Then in the mornings I am going to slip in behind the fields and try to catch them coming to their bedding areas. Alfalfa and corn seem to be my top pics, but some years they hit beans hard. I am also going to concentrate on hunting areas with lots of locust pods in the morning
grin.gif

I have had by far the best luck over alfalfa fields w/ a few inches of growth still standing. Corn can be good to, a standing plot is the best, but try to at least find a field that hasnt been baled or grazed after harvest.

[ QUOTE ]
late muzzleloader has got to be my favorite time to hunt deer because they are so predictable, i love to find the hot food source in the area and hunt their staging areas and the field edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! - let's see the prize you've won behind curtain number one!
laugh.gif

Top Bottom