Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Public Land 8pt

evandh

December 29, 2013

Whitetail hunting has been a challenge for us this year to say the least. As many of you know, archery season was filled early with close calls then later a drop in deer sightings and encounters. Seemed like this year might be a bust completely. Gered was able to take a couple nice doe, but bucks were getting the best of us. As 1 and 2 gun seasons past, I felt like we missed an opportunity with the cold and snow that we had during second season. But with family and all the events with December this year, it was just the wise decision to take some time off and spend time with my girls.

With late season in mind, I was planning to hunt an afternoon here and there way up in NW Iowa where I live (which is a shot in the dark). There is a nice tract of public ground with beautiful terrain but is heavily pressured. The week of Christmas I went out a couple of evenings and saw a lot of does (it was plenty cold, near 0 a couple times) but again no bucks of any kind.

Friday evening, after a 40 degree day, I was heading out one more time for the week. Not feeling to confident with those temps. I decided to sit in a small block of timber that bordered some private ground hoping to maybe catch deer moving through to the standing corn in the surrounding area. Sure enough at 5:10 with fading light I see a deer skirt the far ravine in the timber. He was moving quickly so I was scrambling to find and range an opening. There was one at 100 yards that if he made it too I would fire. I finally saw that it was a decent buck and I prepared. Just as he was heading for that opening he stopped behind a thick brushy pile and somehow vanished. I believe he snuck out the back side of the timber and headed to the grassy ridge. Again I was beating myself up thinking of what could/should have been.

Saturday I did not go out as it was over 50 degrees and we had some friends visiting. But Sunday morning we woke up to a 55+ degree drop in temperature and the high for the day was going to be -3. I knew I had to go out that evening to try to settle the score with that buck. So I worked my way back into that block of timber. This time I sat deeper (a risk of bumping bedded deer) in the timber at the bottom of 3 draws coming to a point, where I thought he may pass through.

I finally got situated at around 2:45pm, plenty early when it was -5 out. And for 2.5 hours of cold.........no deer. Finally at 10 after 5pm, I started hearing the crispy cold oak leaves crunching.....I thought it might be deer but there were a ton of squirrels around so I wasnt sure. I readied myself and pointed the gun in the direction of sound which was way to my right on a side hill of timber. The sounds stopped for a bit but 5 mins later I heard the tell tale sound of a deer walking and it was closing distance. I cocked the hammer of the TC brought the gun up to my shoulder and out of the corner of my eye, way to my right, I finally caught a glimpse of the rack coming straight to me. As he crested the ridge at 50 yards or less I waited for the opening. He took 3 more steps, stopped, faced me and I dropped the hammer right in to his chest. As the smoke cleared I could see he dropped and rolled 10 or so feet down the slope. He expired in seconds and it was over!!

I thanked Jesus once again for this blessing that I had undeservingly received. What a great hunt, and a satisfying feeling to figure out a deer and go in and be able to harvest him. I was also very thankful that Gered was near by to help me recover, shoot photos, and drag him out to the truck. Our God is good and everything seems to happen on his time. I was so down about this season, and almost sick of hunting and frustrated that I still wanted to go out, knowing that chances were slim. Thanks also to my wife for putting up with me when her hands are more than full right now at home.

Thanks guys.

1555433_628477030939_742662652_n.jpg

1495543_628477060879_1278402279_n.jpg

999803_628477025949_1866610118_n.jpg

1526132_628477100799_884013749_n.jpg

1483301_628477120759_1845573627_n.jpg

1535442_628477135729_662519991_n.jpg

This was enjoyable for me...first deer I was able to show her (that wasn't already cut up)

1528493_628497380159_247927180_n.jpg

Congrats! Maybe its just the light or the camera, but that looks like a really nice cape on that deer.

Great buck - great story and way to thank the Lord for what he provides! Nice work!!!!

Congrats and very cool. Way up in NW Ia. ??? I'm from Sibley and there is lots of snow here. I don't see any in your pics. Just curious. Anyway, good job and congrats again.

Congrats and very cool. Way up in NW Ia. ??? I'm from Sibley and there is lots of snow here. I don't see any in your pics. Just curious. Anyway, good job and congrats again.

Yup, this was Sunday after being in the 50's on Saturday. Took care of all of the snow then plummeted to -5 for a high on Sunday. Was -8 at dark on Sunday night when I shot him. Plenty of snow again now, yes

Top Bottom