Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

late season tactics

BDAHMS

Be here Now
So as peak rut is winding down and shotgun seasons will come and go, how does your hunting strategy differ from early season on bow hunting to later season? No more rattling, more rattling, fields and less timber? mid day over early or vice verse?

In my opinion, deer go into hibernation mode. Most of the food is gone and they are intent on surviving the winter. Best to hunt between bedding and food sources. It becomes hard to hide in the trees. If you don't have any food the deer become scarce. If you have food sources set up blinds now so they get used to them.

i have 2 pop up blinds and 1 homemade hut that i am putting out soon, they will be looking over the harvested corn field between our bigger thick timber and some smaller timber/creeks. thats for either bow or late muzzy set ups. (proly mostly muzzy) hope for some late season snow!!

Sunday, I took my rattle pack out of my bag for the 1st time for the year. Figuring I wouldn't have a need for it. About 45 minutes into the hunt I had two bucks fighting one ridge over. Guess I should have carried them around again. I'm looking forward to hunting over the Thanksgiving holidays!

I'm still after a buck I've never laid eyes on but have gotten photos of during the daylight twice over the last week and a half. Both mornings that I got photos of him were cold mornings and he was working scrapes and licking a few branches. In fact, one morning I was hunting a stand a few hundred yards away (debated hunting the stand right by where I got pics of him at 8:20am:mad:). The other morning was last Monday and he was in there at 10am. All I've got to go on is that both mornings were cold and NW winds, good for my stand location. Unfortunately, it's warm as hell and I'm working mornings this week. My next crack at him will be Saturday. I don't really have a strategy I guess. Just trying not to leave scent everywhere and spook him out of the area. And hunting the stand on select cold, NW wind mornings. But the clock is ticking....ticking to gun season opening as well as rut activity dwindling IMO.

Late season hunting is over looked by ALOT of people. I love hunting late season food source. Standing beans and corn can produce some great results when the temperature hits the negatives. I'm not just talking about -5, I'm talking -25. When its that cold I've had good luck with mature bucks feeding during daylight. I don't do any rattling or calling late season or use any scents(personally I don't use scents any time of the season). Good luck to you my friend and have a fun safe season.

Late season is typically about hunting food sources (if its cold enough). The last couple late seasons or me havent been cold enough so I was only catching movement the late few minutes of light. We need about a foot of snow and temps in the minuses for it to really be a good late season.

I rattled in a shooter 10 this morning. He was coming straight in but turned and worked thru the doe bedding area not offering me a shot in the thick stuff. Really, really wanted to seal the deal this morning as it was my last hunt of the season.

I was not sure if you were talking about late season as rut is winding down or late season after shotgun. If after shotgun, hunt food.

Last edited:
Top Bottom