Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Tactics

They are on patterns now. Get one patterned and set up on him. Easier said than done. If you kill a mature buck this time of year with stick and string then you can call yourself the man.

Sleep in, every morning, but get out as early as you can for the rest of the day.

All hunting mornings here does now is bump deer and ruin the afternoon patterns that will produce a shot. We go out mid-day now and watch deer all afternoon.

I am a huge fan of morning hunting late season granted you got to have the right property to do it. Some places you can get away with others you can't. I have my morning spots and my evening spots and they are never the same place. I would say for late muzz I am 50/50 on taking bucks in the morning vs evening. I typically see a lot more in mornings vs evening as far as bucks go anyways.

If I had a timber that ran north and south and all the food was to the north I would sneak in from the east or west or South and try to get about 300 yards in from the food. It seems it is usually dead first thing but about an hour after first light deer will start moving back to bed. You try to find that spot that is close enough to bedding they will get there but far enough from it you can get out. A lot of times I will walk out towards the food as nothing is bedded from me to the food. I definitely seem to walk a lot more late season trying to get around them versus rut hunting.

80% of places you cant get away with morning hunting though so your stuck to the evenings on the food or in the timber a little ways.

6x6 said:
All hunting mornings here does now is bump deer and ruin the afternoon patterns that will produce a shot. We go out mid-day now and watch deer all afternoon.

6x6 nailed it. We do the same thing on our farms. The risk/reward just isn't worth it. In the morning you don't know where the deer will be and risk bumping them. Go out early in the afternoon and you can just about guarantee the deer are bedded deep in the timber. Even more important, make sure you can get out of the stand without bumping the deer.

Thanks for your guys' help. Luckily my evening stand is easily accessible and has almost no chance at spooking any bedded deer and is in between the grove an food source. Now I just need to dress warm!

This buck was shot this year during the second weekend of MN slug season out of the same stand i plan on sitting in the evenings. No monster but we know there is another buck that is almost identicle to this one on the property still.

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom