Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Learning Taxidermy

Brett Morris

PMA Member
Hey guys I'm sure there are at least a few of you that know a thing or two about taxidermy. I've been curious about learning/experimenting with taxidermy over the past several years as a hobby. My questions for you guys would be how did you get started? Any advice? I know there are lots of classes that cost $1000+ that are probably really good but I'm not looking to spend alot to get started right now.

Ideally I wish I could find someone that is partially retired and looking to sell some of their equipment and would be willing to help/show me some of the tips & tricks, I'm located in Mahaska County and am willing to drive however far. Thanks Guys

Ive been doing Taxidermy a little while now. I would assume your talking about mainly doing whitetail? If so, call up WASCO or go to www.Taxidermy.com and get one of their catalogs.

When you recieve it, order the Rick Carter A to Z whitetail.

That DVD alone is worth 10 times more then what they sell it for. Also, he will put you in the right direction to get you started, and covers everything from checking in a deer, to tanning, and finishing. Good luck :way:

I get all my stuff threw van dykes taxidermy supply, good place and good people ive called them a few times when ive had a problem, I had a taxidermist from there go step by step over the phone on doing a euro mount last year, and even gave me a cheap way of doing it without ordering a bunch of the expensive stuff from them, also had a lady from there help me out about 10yrs ago when I use to do turkey tail mounts

Im from muscatine... I would enjoy teaching anyone how to do it.. kind of a far drive for you though.. I took the two month course with Matuskas in NW Iowa... cost me about $10000 all said and done with

Another very helpful website is Taxidermy.net. I have done a couple on my own for myself. A very helpful site with pictures and archives, and pro advice.

Evil x and loneranger basically hit the nail on the head. Taxidermy.net is one of the most useful tools. Order your Rick Carter A to Z then get on Taxidermy.net and read for hours on hours.

Buy the Rick Carter A to Z and watch it about 4 times, then decide if you want to do the work. The prep work of the cape is easily 75% of what makes a mount look nice. Thin to win. I don't have the time or patience to do this so I take my capes to Spartan Tannery in Solon. I know a guy in the IC area that will spend 8 hours with you working on tips and tricks. PM me if you are interested in something like this.

Top Bottom