Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lease Prices

ShedderKG

Just curious if you had 200 acres in Decatur County in a good managed area, with almost half in tillable ground 20 some acres of CRP and the rest in timber...what a guy could get for just the hunting lease for the year??? Any ideas on what that number would be??

I should add that this is a completely hypothetical situation. I am just interested to see what that number would be

Top end ground like that should bring $20 - $35 an acre....look at what it costs to purchase a good farm...$30 an acre to lease it is cheap in comparison.

It's too bad it has come to this! Used to be you could go ask someone if you could hunt their ground and as long as you were a respectful hunter most likely you could get permission. Now if you have a whole lot of money in your back pocket you can push the little guy out! I guess in stead of teaching my son good morals and ethics isn't what I need to be doing. What I need to be doing is helping him figure out how to make a lot of money so he will be able to take his kids hunting.

Makes me feel bad everyday to see what our country is becoming, just look at our President and our government!

I will, for the most part, avoid the hornet's nest on this discussion. I do understand both sides of it, really do. I also agree that our current Pres being a disaster for this country. Anti-capitalist. A view opposite of Pres- I do see leasing as "capitalistic" in nature though & if Obama got involved with hunting & leases would do away with them any private property would probably go by-by & everyone gets the same & can hunt the same- anywhere.

Like I said, I see both sides. Some things to at least consider in the old lease debate.... A 200 acre farm likely costs a guy down there around that $400,000 to $800,000 range. There's a lot of expenses, huge payments if an average guy is borrowing to make ends meet, taxes, huge up front down payment costs & years of saving to buy the land. If a landowner chooses to lease his/her ground, who am I to judge that? Who am I to tell him/her they should or shouldn't? If it doesn't work out or doesn't make sense, I'm sure they'll quit doing it. I just feel uneasy about knocking someone that spent half a million bucks on some ground & couldn't benefit from $2k a year to help cover some costs or get a tiny return on investment (which on $500k is .4% return from lease). I wouldn't expect the farmer let me farm his ground for free & I respect the rights of any landowner to do what's reasonable, ethical, legal & in the best interest of all parties.
I do get the other side of this discussion too, I know this is a heated one, I get it. Folks still do, and in my OPINION, will always have the opportunity to knock on doors, etc or worst, travel to some large public land tracts. A compromise with that is maybe helping the farmer do some work??? Everyone is quick to say that & claim they will but after 10 years of owning land, I've had maybe 10% of those say they'll help out with some work actually do it.

Another question to ask- what is the cause of leasing? Why do guys want to lease? I personally think it's to insulate themselves from all the yahoo's, poor management mindset of many, if it's brown it's down mentality, groups that have no concern for biology of herd or management (only their own self glory & enjoyment alone), ruined hunts, getting peace & quiet, safety, etc. I personally will say the #1, by far, thing I don't like about hunting is the issues involving people, some legal, some not: poaching, killing every young buck a group sees, not managing does properly, trespassing, SHOOTING AT ME WHILE I'M IN MY STAND - YOU DON'T SEE ME AND START SHOOTING AT A FRIGIN FOX SQUIRREL WITH A SLUG GUN, GUN 1 SEASON (3 years ago, happened & Since then have had bullets wiz in air past me), walking to spot 1 hour after light, shooting multiple bucks most folks get done passing up, hunting the land like an idiot- running the deer out or making the smart ones nocturnal, etc, etc. I can take bad weather, coyotes, slow movement, but- people can make hunting very frustrating though. Can we all at least agree on that??? Probably not a big mystery why the motivation to lease ground exists is it?

I don't lease my land or charge anyone to hunt there. I have a very select few friends I want to hunt there and coincidentally, they are a rare group that actually has helped me by picking up a chainsaw, helping with plot work, helped with fencing while many others (majority) were MIA.
Trying to be at least somewhat of a unbiased side to this & not dive into that debate full force BUT we have to think through this a little & hope possibly a few of my points may make someone think a little differently? Good luck whatever you folks decide to do and where ever you choose to hunt.

Last edited:
I don't lease my land or charge anyone to hunt there. I have a very select few friends I want to hunt there and coincidentally, they are a rare group that actually has helped me by picking up a chainsaw, helping with plot work, helped with fencing while many others (majority) were MIA.
Trying to be at least somewhat of a unbiased side to this & not dive into that debate full force BUT we have to think through this a little & hope possibly a few of my points may make someone think a little differently? Good luck whatever you folks decide to do and where ever you choose to hunt.

Sligh I hear you there.

That time of year is here when all of a sudden my friends come out

of the woodwork wanting to hunt again. Not asking to lend a hand at all

since last season.

A couple of weeks ago I spread 800 lbs. of fertilizer by hand and seeded 2

acres of plots all by myself (No pity party here), have mowed all of my

clover plots on a as needed basis and paid for it all with no help.

I do have one good friend that does help me though and he only shoots

does for me during late season (his choice right Randy) :D

I can see your point Sligh on the farmer wanting to make a few dollars

why not? The select few will do what it takes to acquire land while the

others will whine why they cannot. There are people out there that will let

you hunt it just might take a little bit of hard work finding the right one.

Things change people I guess we can complain about it or make something

happen if we love doing it.

A compromise with that is maybe helping the farmer do some work??? Everyone is quick to say that & claim they will but after 10 years of owning land, I've had maybe 10% of those say they'll help out with some work actually do it.

At 10%, you have had better luck than me.

I do have one good friend that does help me though and he only shoots

does for me during late season (his choice right Randy) :D

I'm happy to shoot a few does late season if someone wants them shot. I figure you can manage the bucks fine without my help. :way:

Oh, I totally "get" leasing as well. On the leasee side, it requires little effort to show up and start flashing cash to open a few doors that knocking alone won't. On the farmer side, extra cash in their pocket. Not saying I like it, just that I can understand it.

What always amazes me is the people who come knocking for permission the week before (or during) season. :confused: These people get an immediate NO.

Top Bottom