Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Leasing land

I have never thought in my many years of hunting that I would consider leasing land. Lately with tresspassing problems and shotgun hunters shooting everything they see I am going to start looking. Is there many of you on this site that lease land? If so, how do you go about it without hitting up the internet sites that want 10 grand for 40 acres of timber that is not quality deer habitat. I have also considered driving around and talking to farmers about it but being an "out of towner" never helps in that situation. I'm just looking for a place that an owner can look over when I'm not out there and not have a problem with people tresspassing. I only want to lease it for bow hunting and not shotgun or turkey. If any of you lease let me know your thoughts on trying to get a lease. Thank you

Find and area you want to be in look at aerials and plat maps and start talking to farmers during their down time of year. You'd be amazed how far you can get by making a few connections and asking a few questions.

U wont have much luck finding a lease without talking to the landowner. Most everything posted up as f or lease will be expensive

Not being a smart arse but leased land doesn't stop tresspassers/poachers. Its still going to happen. I would just take time off during the down time of farmers(middle of summer in my area)as suggested and seek permission from landowners/farmers that you find are supportive of bowhunting only. It may not cost you much if anything at all beside your time and you'll probably make some new friends.

I'm not saying it's going to stop people from crossing the fence, but if you have land where the farmer/landowner farms for a living, there is a better chance of keeping people out. With someone around all the time they are less likely to be able to park the truck and just hop into the woods.

Leasing is not the only option, if you live in the area you hunt you can offer "services" (assuming you are reasonably handy farmer type person) to non-local landowners that are quite valuable... fence repair, property monitoring, food plot prep/spray/mow, crp maintenance (thistle cutting, cedar tree clearing...etc). It has worked for me and opened up literally thousands of additional acres to bowhunt on.

Top Bottom