Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legal Question on RR beans????

wegner36

as im sure most of you who are farmers know that the roundup ready beans you plant also produce roundup ready beans, therefore one could plant the beans that they harvested the following spring, I would like to note that I know this is illegal and I understand the reasoning behind this...i guess the question i have would be if a person could plant these "beans from the bin" in a foodplot....legally, my thoughts are if one is not harvesting them does the law still apply....looking for opinions/facts....thanks

Monsanto would say illegal. I think the patent and agreement says "any cultivation" or something like that.

hey thanks felllas...like i said i had no idea and this really helps keep me from doin it illegally...thanks again!

I don't think anybody is going to check into your foodplots to see if you're planting illegal beans.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anybody is going to check into your foodplots to see if you're planting illegal beans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if somebody here turns you in.
blush.gif

The penalties for getting caught are pretty harsh. The seed companies want to make an example out of you. In the past, they come in and disked down the field to destroy the crop. Then, they have the right to come in and take samples of crops for the next three years to make sure you are planting purchased genetics. Did I mention the fines? Now I have only heard of them doing this to "for profit" agricultural entities, but is it really worth trying to save $100.00?
crazy.gif

Maybe the SSS method applies here: shovel, seed and shut up.
wink.gif

Definite no-no. As a seed grower for RR soybean, we have to account for every bushel planted, harvested, conditioned, sold, and unsold. Food plot use is covered under the patent. Even non-Roundup soybeans cannot be sold for seed out of the bin from a farmer if they are PVP'd. Under the PVP law, the farmer may save enough to plant his farm, but may not sell it for seed unless he is a seed dealer and has followed the laws of the state for that particular variety. Many varieties must be sold as certified only, which requires state plant board inspection and analysis. The Roundup Ready Soybean gene and new Roudup Ready 2Yield Soybean gene are owned by Monsanto and are grown and bred under contract. This is not just for soybean, most of the seed you are buying today in most seed mixes are protected in some way. Soybeans are just more accessible. Farmers are free to sell them for feed to anyone.

Seeing how over 92-95% of soybeans grown in the USA are RR, it would not be hard to find. Non-gmo or non-RR soybeans are in such demand now, you can almost get a dollar more per bushel for them.

The non-gmo bean is almost gone here in SW Iowa. This growing season will be the last season for many elevators to take them. There are only 4 growers right now that I know of in my territory that is growing a conventional bean. Right now it is .70 cent premium for conventional beans (SW Iowa). I know down south they get a better premium, being close to the river helps.

Vistive is where everything is headed next year with a .55 cent premium at certain elevators.

No vistive in the south yet to speak of. Keeping it close to where most of the processors are. $0.90 on the river here for non-gmo. We are currently growing 2 different university lines, a 4.8 and 5.3 maturity.

Its easy to find a pile of free beans after a train has been through
grin.gif
Thats whats keeping all of those turkeys fed off Highway 30 by the ADM plant. I remember the trains leaving big piles in the tracks when I was a kid by our house in Palo

Top Bottom