Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legislation

HighJumper

I received an e-mail reply from my Senator today about the pending deer legislation. He stated that the all encompassing bill being drafted currently will not include any increases in non-resident anterless, "not under my watch". I hope he meant any sex licenses. Anyway, anyone else hearing where this is headed? Sounds like it is happening right now.

I got the same reply from a Senator Black. I too was hoping that he meant any-sex tags would stay at 6,ooo.

It looks as though NR either sex tags will remain at 6,000 tags but there is a push to eliminate the cap on NR antlerless tags - what are your thoughts on this?

I didn't think we sold out of the anterless NR tags that we had this year? I don't see them selling more unless they cut the price.

All 2,500 were sold in 2004. Would you support the increase? Why? Would you support decreasing the cost? Why?

Good discussion.

How about no increase and and throw in a doe tag with all anysex tags for free. That would make a lot of sense. Also additonal NR antlerless tags should be available to those that draw an anysex tag for the same fee residents pay.

Can you legally party hunt for a buck with a doe tag only. I have heard this is very common during slug season?????

Yes you can legally shoot a buck with only a doe tag via party hunting.

So in essence a antlerless tag is no different than a "buck" tag during gun season provided you have someone with a buck tag available and willing to tag it.

My county only gives about 100 doe tags out a year so Im sure it would have no affect on me.I can see where if the price is high, its hard to believe all those tags would be used legaly. What about a plan where all antlerless deer tagged need to be checked, and any unused tags sent back after the season is over. Obviously it would take some planning to enforce this, but It might help close a loophole.

Im pleased to see no increase in the number of NR anysex tags. Increasing NR doe tags might not be a bad idea if all hunters out there were honest people. Its the right thing to do, unfortuantly it may not be the smart thing to do. I think alot can be done by the residents and non-residents to act as their own policing force in situations where the doe tags are being used inappropriatley. The DNR needs all the help they can get.

I hope the info. about the NR any-sex tags is correct, but I don't see any good coming from eliminating the cap on the antlerless. I just don't honestly believe that many NR's want to come to IA for the sole purpose of killing a doe, especially at anything more than 50 dollars. I like the idea of throwing in a antlerless only tag in along with the any-sex tag. It makes more sense for a hunter already in a tree with a "buck" tag to harvest a doe that comes by than someone that has to drive across a state or two and pay a few hundred dollars just to shoot a doe. Just doesn't make any sense to me....the only thing I can think of is the fact that maybe this idea will help "quench the flame" of the insurance groups and farmers. They wanted more out-of-state hunters to help reduce the herd.......maybe this is the way they're giving them there chance to do it. Who knows...........
CRITR

I hope you are right,CRITRGITR.
I worry about guys with an antlerless tag shooting a buck anyway.
Is there a House File or Senate File number to refer to when contacting a legislator?

Everyone needs to go to that link, look up House File 16 and House File 31.

I am not sure I am embracing what they are suggestion in HF 31. Going to do more research on that.

You will have two tags AND pay for a HSUS tag for five dollars. Making it now mandatory or you will be fined.

I think that getting rid of the cap on NR antlerless is just going to lead to more poaching and problems during the gun season. I do like the idea of giving NR a free antlerless to go along with their anysex tag if they get drawn. Senator Black did write back to me again and stated that the anysex tags would stay at 6,000. Good deal!!!

I don't understand why this would only apply to resident hunters. It leaves the perception that the NR hunter will hunt at a higher level of prestige and the grunt work is for the residents of Iowa. I am not completely against the idea of earn a buck but there is no way that it should not be across the board. Give a doe tag to the NRs as well.

I think if every license came with an antlerless and an anysex tag the order of harvest would become irrelevant. That is one very large increase in available antlerless tags and shear numbers should meet their objective. Also with regards to the proposed $25 dollar fine, for those in violation, it seem like they are saying if you don't follow the correct order you pay for that second tag.

Can HF31 be amended at this point or is this what they’ll try to get to the floor for a vote?
I don't like the way this bill is structured. What does everyone else think?

Im not opposed to taking the cap off antlerless licenses.poaching isnt just a non resident issue, as long as we have residnts who are out poaching it seems kinda counterproductive to use that as valid reason not to let NR shoot more does.Kinda like arguing all hunting should be banned in the state because of the acts of a few resident poachers.it just dont make sense.

If they took the cap off the DNR could make more money which they need.It would be a bone to throw the insurance companies and legislature to show them we take the poulation control issue seriously.It might result in more does being killed but I really dont think the number of non resident hunters buying doe tags would jump enough to make a noticable difference, they have a hell of a time selling the ones that are already available.And realsticaly the NR that would use the doe tags to poach bucks are probably already poaching them, either through the licenses already available or other means.

just seems to me that it would be a step towards getting everyone on the same playing field instead of having residents, non residents, the DNR, insurance industry, and legislature all squaring off against each other.JMO.

waytogo.gif
Exactly what I think Horst.

The concerns for most regarding the an increase of either sex tags revolves around land access. We currently have a supply of 8,500 slots for NR deer hunters.

It is my opinion that if we increase the # of tags allocated (either antlerless or anysex tags) the demand for land will increase thus displacing additional resident hunters.

Remember non-residents can and will hunt bucks with antlerless tags (both legally and illegally). If our goal is preserve land access for residents we need to be careful not to differentate either sex or antlerless tag allocation to NR.

Our legislative groups and DNR have come to the conclusion that NR hunters will have a minuet impact on the doe populations. I want even bring up the poaching issues as they are not limited to NR and antlerless tags.

Please - when talking with your legislators ask them to keep the cap on NR antlerless tags.

Top Bottom