Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legislative update..Guns in Nov/Late season rifle

m_kat

Update on Thanksgiving weekend gun hunt and the 7 day extension of late season hunt, allowing rifles.

The Legislative review committee is scheduled to vote on the proposed seasons on August 9th.

There is still some uncertainty on whether it will get passed or not. The question on whether it is passed or not is because of the controversy that these changes have stirred up…… The legislators have been hearing from concerned sportsmen!

The DNR officials (Central Office Personel…) have said that once the “facts” are explained to the legislators they agree with the decision to enforce them.

Some of the “facts” they are using.

“Statistics show that only 5% of the late season harvest is shed bucks.”
“Statistics say that 85% of bow hunting is done by the November antlerless season.”
Also “There is a misconception of danger from a rifle hunt”

I would like to know where these stats come from. For one there is only about 30% success rate for bow hunters so wouldn’t logic dictate that at a minimum around 70% were still in the field come November 25th?

Willie Suchie. Wildlife Biologist for the state of Iowa said in a previous post that….

"Our harvest surveys indicate that about 80% of the deer killed on the antlerless tags are does. “

That would lead me to believe that a minimum of 20% of the late season harvest is bucks, regardless of antler status. I’m sure that this statistic was compiled using season wide data, so late season data should show a higher buck kill ratio due to shed bucks.

Look at a ballistics table.

The bottom line is that guns in November and rifles have no place in Iowa the lack of these two things are what makes Iowa such a great place to hunt/live.

These new seasons will do nothing more than give the average poacher a reason for driving around “hunting” with a shotgun in November and using a rifle in January.

Once these seasons are implemented they will be all but impossible to eliminate and have the potential to expand. I don’t want to be telling my children and grandchildren about the glory days of deer hunting in Iowa.

I only e-mailed the legislators on the natural resources committee the last time, I will be giving them a personal call.

It just seems to me that the wool is being pulled over a lot of these politicians eyes. They are not hunters, statisticians, or biologists. What is happening is that they have the insurance lobbies telling them to kill every thing that moves. So they put pressure on the DNR to solve the “problem”. Then those that are week and uneducated within the DNR propose ridiculous rule changes, while those that know better don’t say a word. …As you all can see I am extremely displeased with the current chain of command in the DNR. (Starts with the governor!... Whole nother subject.)

As I have said from the beginning these rule changes have nothing to do with the deer herd and every thing to do with money and political power.

The Iowa legislator Natural Resources Committee
http://www3.legis.state.ia.us/ga/committee.do?id=28

The Iowa Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee Members
http://www3.legis.state.ia.us/ga/committee.do?id=10

I just sent an e-mail to Senator Miller who is from this area expressing my views on this subject and asked him to share them with other committe members. I had spoken to him in person once but I thought the e-mail would give him something to actually show them. I think others here should do the same ASAP. I also suggested that he read some of these forums to get a better idea how we feel. Maybe we can't change it now, but we sure can't if we don't even bother to try. Flood them with stuff so that we aren't the silent majority that looses.

m kat I am from Missouri they will have to show me. how do they know how many antlerless bucks are killed when they don,t have a check station. The whole problem is the insurance companies.Missouri did away with their check stations they say to save money but they actually don't care how many deer are killed.(DA)Injoy them while you can your big buck state is going down hill. Good Luck jj6
confused.gif

Top Bottom