Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legislative Website?

I was out this weekend freezing my rear off trying to shoot a doe during the special late season, so I'll answer a few questions/comments that have come up.

Pike Co., Illinois happened because IL did not have the foresight to place restrictions on the number of non-resident licenses nor restrict which areas they could hunt. Iowa is completely different in this respect. Adding 4000 additional licenses will not place an enormous burden on the southeast because the additional licenses will be distributed throughout the state as they currently are, not concentrated in one area.

Daver, when refering to how difficult it was to get permission to hunt, that was when I was living in the Detroit, MI area in the mid-1980's and while living in North Carolina. Finding a place to hunt was darn near impossible without knowing someone who could help you gain access. I bought land in Iowa rather than gaining permission from various landowners simply because owning property to hunt has been a lifelong dream. Land in Iowa is very inexpensive, compared to other parts of the country. By owning land, I not only can hunt my property, but I also have the satisfaction of playing wildlife manager and can manipulate my property to the benefit of wildlife. Lots of fun and very rewarding. Since moving to Iowa several years ago, I have met and been invited by several Iowa landowners to hunt their properties but instead prefer to focus my time on my place. I had two friends from out west who hunted east of Waterloo this fall. During the week they were hunting, they were introduced to several landowners who invited them to come back and hunt their properties. I have other non-resident friends who hunted in the western part of Iowa in 2001. During the several weeks they hunted here they ran into all sorts of landowners at teh local diners, etc. who invited them to come over and hunt their properties. I have not tried banging on doors myself since I am fortunate to have my own place, but my non-resident friends who have hunted various places all around Iowa have all remarked how friendly the landowners were and people were inviting them to hunt, without them asking for permission.

Pupster, I agree that residents should get preference in getting the antlerless tags. I had a total of seven deer tags in my pocket last fall. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who also had a pocket full of tags. Perhaps there should be a better way to ensure that everyone can get an extra tag or two. It is obvious the IDNR wants more and more deer killed. I'm willing to oblige as best I can. My point is that when we are killing 136,000+ deer per season, the number of deer being killed by non-residents is pretty insignificant.

I would just like to see non-residents and non-resident landowners be treated a little more fairly in this state. We have enough deer to share a few more with them. Just like Iowans want an opportunity to travel to Colorado to hunt an elk, Coloradoans would like a reasonable opportunity to travel to Iowa to hunt our deer. How would we Iowa elk hunters feel if the residents out west adopted an attitude to exclude non-residents elk hunters by asking that resident elk hunters be permitted to kill more than one elk and that the number of non-resident tags is reduced so this could happen.

I have a friend in the south central part of the state who owns over 700 acres of prime habitat that is managed for quality deer. He would love to have his two grown sons who live out of state be able to hunt with him each year on his private property. In spite of the acreage he has and the number of deer his lands supports, his sons only get to hunt when they are lucky enough to draw a tag. Sure does not seem right or fair to me.

One of the many criticisms I hear about outfitters and lands leased by non-residents, is that they do not shoot enough does to help control the population. That is the reason I would support giving non-resident hunters an added doe tag to use in areas where the deer herd needs to be thinned. Allocating extra doe tags to residents who do not have access to those leased lands does not address that concern. Regardless of whether Senate Bill 18 passes, there will always be a certain percentage of private lands controlled by outfitters and lease holders. Just one way to help make certain they do their part to control the deer herd on private lands.

I do understand the concern that many have about lands being bought up by hunters. What do you expect, for the landowner to not sell his land so that the locals will continue to have a place to hunt? Far as I know land is selling in the southeast not because out of state hunters are running around with fists full of cash enticing people to sell, but because the landowners want to sell and none of the locals are buying. There was a comment made that non-resident landowners are putting their acreage in the forest program, exempting that acreage from taxes. Well that is good! Habitat is maintained. Would you prefer to have a resident buy the lands and farm it from fence line to fence line? Yes, the county may not get quite as much in propety tax monies, but they also are not paying to educate the children of those living out of state.

John v says...

"Would you prefer to have locals buy up the land and farm it from fence line to fence line?"

Tillable ground would not qualify for the Forest Reserve Program for tax exempt status. 200 trees per acre minimum would make it had to farm from fence to fence. Most timber being purchased by any person, res or nonres is probably already in the forest reserve program unless it is being used for cattle.

I think that the point that is trying to be made is that with all this ground removed from the tax base what happens to county revenue. A post recently said that 47% of
Appanoose county's rough ground is nonresident owned. With this much ground in forest reserve the county is loosing out. This ground not only doesn't bring in any property tax, but since no one lives on it there is no income tax or sales tax or gas tax, no one buying groceries, and on and on. Then the burden of county government falls on the remaining residents, and they will never see anything from the income on the increased NR license fees. These residents are dwindling because they are selling the land to NR because they are willing to pay more for it than locals who can't earn enough money locally to afford to compete with the NR who live in more affluent areas. I hope you can see what a slippery slope this is. It may not be to bad now but what happens in 10 years? Twenty years ago this wasn't a problem because we didn't have the deer hunting we have now. Not many peole could forsee where we are now back then.

If the concern seems to be the impact on a particular area of the state (SE), then set up zones and distribute the NR tags statewide so the concentration isn't as high.

I see several factors at work here. First is the need to generate revenue to fund the DNR for enforcement, maintenance of existing lands, and purchase of additional public land. Second is the pressure from insurance companies and ag groups to decrease the size of the herd. Third is balancing the first two without limiting the opportunities for Iowa hunters (by loss of private land to leasing or by raising resident license fees to a prohibitive level).

Personally, I would rather pay a little more myself for a resident license than have 6,000 additional out-of-state hunters coming in to take our biggest bucks. What I would really like to see happen is leave the # of NR tags the same or reduce it while raising the price of a tag to $500. If they're after a trophy deer as it seems to be the case, make 'em pay for it.

As for reducing number of does, up the antlerless only tags for a couple of years and require a doe tag to be filled before a buck tag is issued. You'd see a lot of early-season does taken. Or allow muzzleloaders to hunt both early and late if one tag is anterless only.

Sorry to ramble ... like everyone else, this gets me riled up.

Threebeards

Ghost Walker,

The point I wanted to make was that it is better for wildlife and hunters in the area to have property purchased by an out of state hunter than to have the property utilized in a way that would be detrimental to wildlife. Obviously, it would be nice if a local would buy the land, take care of it, and let the local folks continue to hunt there. But that just isn't happening much these days. I think it is preferable for an non-resident to buy land for hunting than to see the same acreage cleared for cattle or chopped into 5 acre "mini-farms". Animals that take refuge on managed and posted properties will jump fences where they can then be legally harvested by those hunting adjacet properties. Better than having land change hands where wildlife is not wanted.

Declining tax basis in rural counties is a major, major problem. This is a nationwide problem that is not unique to Iowa. The problem is there are no jobs in many rural areas. Few people can make a living off the farm these days. The young people leave to the big cities where they can find jobs. In many rural areas, hunting and fishing by outsiders is big business. They buy gas, meals, lodging, etc. The sad truth is that once the hunting, fishing, camping season is over, few have reason to visit that rural county and spend some money there. I sure don't have any solutions to that problem because you just can't make people move into and live in an area where they don't want to be.

Top Bottom