Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legislator looking for some input

I dont think many people around here realize there is any difference between the shotgun and muzzy seasons as is, or at least don't care. I have heard of many hunters over the yrs filling tags for others in muzzy season. That said, most hunters who go late muzzy do so to avoid the craziness of shotgun season, I see no reason to fix what aint broke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJ,
If I understood correctly the November season is going away in some counties. I would almost rather see the late January season closed due to all of the shed bucks getting killed. </div></div>

I don't want to distract from Randy's purpose here but I'd almost rather see a late September antlerless season then a late one for the same reason as Limb notes.

The whole reason for the "party hunting" question I'm sure is under the guise of "controlling" our deer herd, but it all boils down to access as I have mentioned many times.

Allowing a few groups of MZ's to tag one anothers deer isn't going to amount to a hill a beans in controlling our deer.

No access, no hunting, party or otherwise, no deer reduction but legislators don't see this and haven't a clue because last I knew only 4 in the whole house even hunted!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

You see why we have to contact our legislators as already mentioned, otherwise they are clueless to the real world... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJ,
If I understood correctly the November season is going away in some counties. I would almost rather see the late January season closed due to all of the shed bucks getting killed. </div></div>

I agree with Limb. I would like to see the late January season closed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He had a constituent tell him this would be a good idea.
</div></div>
This constituent didn't happen to be an outfitter, were they?

NO to the idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The note Randy put up didn’t delineate between early or late. I don’t know if everybody picked up on that seeing the majority of responses discussed late season only</div></div>

I guess I said late muzz because that's the one I participate in and it came to mind first. Early or late muzz season makes no difference as far as allowing party hunting, still the same issues and still bad idea.

Lets ask a couple of questions. What possible advantage could allowing this party hunting in ML seasons, either early or late, be to the constituent or the legislator? My first thought was that this had a big connection to NR hunters and the current quotas. While I applaud the legislator for asking for input, I wonder if he got a call from one person wanting to do away with any speed limits on Interstate highways in Iowa, like some of the western states, would he even consider it and ask for input? Safety is an issue whether on the highways or the woods.

How can this help or have anything, other than and negative impact, on controlling our deer herd. The herd is already shrinking at a rate that will very soon have people dropping out of deer hunting due to a very small success ratio, problems with land access, as more hunters are squeezed into smaller areas of habitat in pursuit of fewer and fewer deer. Through the end of late ML season our harvest numbered less than 130,000 deer this year. As of today the total harvest is still only 133,414 and the crazy thing is that even though we are in the middle of the January antlerless season with high powered rifles, there are still 13,430 unsold licenses. Hunters either can't find a place to hunt where they think they can shoot a doe, or they just don't think that the $12.00 investment is worth the slim chance of success.

I do agree with the idea of party hunting during the shotgun seasons, but don't agree with it as just a means to shoot more bucks, which is what it has became. I can see no other valid reason except greed for more bucks to allow the same party hunting in any ML season. If it is allowed in just the late ML season, how long will it be before some constituante wants it in the early season because those late guys have an unfair advantage? Why do anyone of us need to shoot 2, 3, or 4, trophy bucks a year, and if we continue to do that, how long until there are very few trophy bucks available. If you don't think that will happen just ask hunters from Ill, Pa, or MI how many trophies they even see a year.

I admit it I can't keep anything short, so am on a parr with Bonker. Some times you just gotta say what you gotta say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He had a constituent tell him this would be a good idea.
</div></div>
This constituent didn't happen to be an outfitter, were they?

NO to the idea.</div></div>

Probably was an Outfitter. I talked to an Outfitter recently and he said the new law on NR doe tags only being allowed during shotgun season is killing him. I almost laughed because I know he was allowing his guys to kill bucks, take their money, and then figure out how to get them out of the state.

Limb,
I too would rather see the January season closed before the November season. Does anyone have numbers on which of the two seasons has more deer harvested? Probably the January due to length but I bet there is 10 times as many bucks killed during the January season.

Sorry for going a little off topic here, but I like the January Season. I don't sweat as much when i'm out in the field. Nobody else out there and I can use my shotgun. Reduce the number of tags sold, but leave the season intact. I know, Shed bucks are out during this time, but I haven't shot one yet.

definately not. enough reasons already said

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This practice has been loudly condemed in every other state and it's ludcrious to think we are the only state that could not possibly control our deer herd with out party hunting!!!

Gee I wonder how other states manage????? </div></div>

otherstates over harvest deer by allowing unlimited NR tags, and allow gun hunters durring the rut.

party hunting is fine in the shotgun seasons, when groups of hunters are larger, and the seaosn is SHORT. the only way i would vote for a total ban on party hunting, you would have to have the entire month of december be gun season. this would allow you to eliminate late ML season, and all january antlerless seasons. and, party hunting would still go on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
...The other point I hope you all grasp is this legislator is acting on ONE of his constituent’s requests. ONE. The power of one phone call can not be over stated. During the Deer Committee meetings there were a Representative and two different Senators in attendance. They would speak often and at length about a single phone call they got from a single constituent.

The take home message from this thread is your phone calls, letters and emails will make a difference.

The ‘Bonker</div></div>
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
It's like using one source to write your PhD dissertation. It's downright laughable until some nut job rubber stamper passes the thesis, and then the outfitter is left wearing doctoral robes, holding a dollar sign diploma and grinning ear to ear.

Emphatic NO here... let's not have the joke be on us. It's time to make some calls, shall we?

FINAL-COLLAGEflattened.gif

Iowabowhunters.org

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the sportsman friendly legislators has been asked to introduce legislation to allow partying hunting in muzzleload season.He is looking for some guidance/advise/opinions.</div></div>

With the 2009 Iowa Legislator in session the possibilities of deer hunting regulation changes are controversial and complex. I believe any changes made to the current Muzzleloader seasons will have a negative impact on the quality of muzzleloader hunting in Iowa.

Not only will it negatively affect the quality of hunting it will most certainly increased acquisition and leasing of prime hunting property by non residents and some residents. This purchasing and leasing will in turn decrease the number of acreages that middle and lower social & economical resident’s hunters can utilize. Just as important in many instances the land managed through these leases or acquisitions will create a safe haven for deer and promote undesirable deer populations. Therefore the argument can be made that increasing non-resident tags will eventually help to increase the deer herd.

The Iowa Muzzleloader seasons were created when the deer populations began to increase across the state. It was another way of adding funds to the state coffers. The idea at the time was to provide a high quality hunting experience for those individuals wanting to hunt deer with a muzzleloader.

The Early and Late seasons were put in place so muzzleloader hunters would not have to hunt highly disturbed deer due to the masses of shotgun hunters in the field. The muzzleloader hunter, hunting with a single shot firearm, would not have to compete with other hunters.

Opening up party hunting during the muzzleloader seasons will create the same loop holes that are overtly being abused right now during the two current Iowa Shotgun Seasons.

Resident and non resident hunters that have antlerless only tags are shooting bucks and having those in the party with either sex licenses tag the bucks they shoot.

Example #1: A Resident hunter purchases an Early Muzzleloader tag and shots his buck. He then purchases antlerless tags for the shotgun seasons and continues to harvest bucks using other party members either sex tags. If they allow party hunting during the Late Muzzleloader season this same guy will purchase more antlerless tags and continue to shoot bucks using the either sex tag that other party members have.

Example #2: Non-resident hunter purchases antlerless tags for the shotgun season and shots a buck or bucks using other party members either sex tags. Then the non resident purchases antlerless tags for the Late Muzzleloader season and continues too shoot bucks and using other party members either sex tags.

Example #3: The Landowner equation. Landowners get reduced either sex tags, the non resident purchases a doe tag for a given season then the landowner sells the either sex tag to the nonresident and he shots his buck to take home.

Then there is the problem of totally unregulated outfitters in Iowa. These individuals are interested only in their own selfish financial gain.

Iowa has 40,000+ bow hunters who also deserve a quality hunting experience. Do you think these bow hunters who hunt late into the season want to compete with party hunting muzzleloader hunters? I don’t think so, and they shouldn’t have to.

The whitetail deer is a valuable resource to the state of Iowa, a
renewable resource that must be managed carefully.

Unfortunately I no longer believe that the administrators in the Iowa DNR have the best interest of Iowa resident deer and turkey hunters in mind. They are lap dogs for organizations such as Friends of Iowa, the insurance industry, realtors, hotel and motel chains, restaurants and Chet Culver. They are interested only in the almighty dollar and they will if allowed to do so sell the resident hunters of this great state down the river to the highest bidder.

Mr. Black and Mr. Leopold along with Gov. Chet Culver are certainly not “Friends of the Iowa hunter”! The above mentioned individuals are interested in money; and money only. These gentlemen are sitting in smoke filled rooms cutting selfish deals with organizations that want to totally ruin the future of hunting in Iowa for resident hunters. This current group believes they are above listening to you. If you doubt some of what I have said then talk to some of the boots on the ground Conservation Officers that you know. See what they think, some of them can’t even look you in the eye. They know what’s going on, and many of them are not in favor of any more changes.

I never thought I would say this, but I would much rather take my chances with the state legislatures managing our hunting. State legislatures listen to voters; it’s time for all hunters to get involved. Join an established organization that listens to you and has your interest in mind. It is going to take more than just joining an organization to defeat the selfish organizations that are trying to change the current hunting laws. We must all become proactive and email, make phone calls, and attend meetings.

Make your voice heard!

After all, do you want your children and grandchildren to have the privilege of a quality hunt in Iowa?

Animated-Flag-Iowa.gif

United we can make a difference! Please join the IBA &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

398IMG_0185.JPG
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

hoofline.gif

Top Bottom