Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

License Fee

L

Little Al

I have noticed alot of comments from NR talking about how high Iowa fees are. I do not have a book to reference what Iowan's would have to pay to go to a NR state and hunt or fish the same game. I think it would be nice if we knew what both rates were so we could compare them. For example I was told just a small game license for me( a resident of Iowa ) in South Dakota is $95. I don't know how much more a turkey or deer tag is for a NR in South Dakota. That sounds close to what Iowa charges NR. I think S.D. charges more for a NR fishing license than Iowa does.
If I am not right on these figures go ahead and correct me. Al

The three states I have bowhunted deer:

Michigan $128 buck tag $70 for doe
Nebraska $265, second $175 (I think there either sex tags)
Kansas $270 one buck tag. $10 for doe

I pay $14 for a buck tag and $7 for a doe tag in Michigan as a resident.

Tim

In WI NR's pay $130 for an either or bow tag and if you hunt in zone T (Deer Reduction) management zones you also get a free antlerless tag. You can then buy 2 tags per day @ $20 until the quota is met in the area.

In the 2002 deer report from Bowhunter Magazine Iowa was second in the nation in nonresident fees ($320) behind Idaho ($375).

Most Nr's don't have a problem with the fee for buck tags but the antlerless tag fee for NR's is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!!! - $220!!!!!!
I would be glad too help trim the deer herd in my hunting areas but not when I can get tags for free at home. $50 would be tolerable.

Until the Iowa DNR has a better idea of exactly how many deer are in an area (through check stations) they will have a hard time getting the tags to the areas that need them. Alotting 2500 or whatever the number was state wide is not the answer.

WI Shed head

Well the one thing about Iowa's licence fees high or not , remember you can always go somewhere else. As far as Iam concerned non- resident deer licence should be a lot more.
flaming.gif

Flatfoot-

If some states get thier way with reciprocating license fes you will think differently. Then who wins?

Wi Shedhead

While I think the NR fee is a little steep, it seems that there are a lot of people willing to pay it to have a go at one of our corn fed bucks. If the cost came down and the number of licenses went up the DNR could bring in more money not only for the DNR but for the local businesses. While at times it seems its plenty crowded (opening weekend of shotgun) allowing more NR bow licenses with a longer season could make everyone happier.

Flatfoot,
You have definately expressed your dislike of non-residents steping foot in Iowa to hunt, period. Posts 9 & 10 from you have told us to go elsewhere, I'm glad the Iowa DNR doesn't share that same opinion. Where is all the resentment coming from?
confused_em8.gif
I, like alot of others enjoy hunting the state of Iowa and I feel we do more than our share with licence fees and spending hard earned money in the state of Iowa while visiting. If you think that $220 dollars is not enough to kill a doe in Iowa what would be fair price in your mind? I want to do my part as far as QDM is concerned and take does but at $220 a crack that's hard to justify and $200 for a turkey! The buck tag I don't really care what the price is, but expressed in other posts it's becoming a price that only the wealthy can afford.

Nonres

i believe there is a bill that has been introduced or will be, that proposes to raise the NR tags limit from 8500 to 14500, with the majority of them any sex tags. If the DNR is doing this to manage the deer herd numbers they are, as most QDM hunters know, WRONG. Harvesting does is the most effective way to do that. And like the above post's mention, who wants to spend $320 some dollars to shoot a doe. I think many will be shooting inmature bucks. The DNR see's how fast the NR tags get bought up and are blinded by the $$$$ signs. In a way I don't blame them cause they are trying to raise cash any way they can. But I think they are going about it the wrong way. I think we need to let our representatives know we feel about this................
shocked.gif

Two years ago the cost to hunt black bear in Minnesota was $196 total for a non resident and about $30 for a resident. We got 2 bear tags for that price, but this year will only get 1 if I'm reading the regs correctly. This price has gone up from less than $100 when we hunted in '97. Even so, I still consider it a bargain.

I think the NR price Iowa charges for an any sex tag is about right, but also believe that it would be a good idea to issue an additional antlerless tag to NR hunters who draw an any sex tag.

NWBuck

You know for years when Iowa wasn't known for its big deer, we knew what we had , but kept it to ourselves for the obvious reasons. Some of us hunted other states not just for deer, and let me tell you in most cases we were not welcomed with open arms back then.
They would always ask, why don't you hunt your own state, most of us old guys back then never realized that deer hunting in Iowa would ever get to this point, everyone wants to hunt Iowa for its big deer. Now its all about money, 30 years ago a bowhunter could go anywhere in the state and never get turned down to hunt, now even the residents are restricted, due to numbers of hunters . I wish I could feel different about the non- resident issue, but I don't , we have a lmited resource of quality deer, the state and others want to take away the quality for money (greed) it all boils down to the dollar. Take a look what has happened to the other states and their trophy deer, etc, why do you think they want to hunt Iowa. Our deer heard may not be a renewal resource, WHY TAKE A CHANCE. Anyone fished the Mississippi for walleyes latley. And for you resident guys that think all these extra hunters are good, please post the farmers name your hunting on and I will see that you have plenty of company next year, guaranteed.

Flatfoot-
I am new to the site but I have an opinion on this.I understand your discouragement.The biggest issue for me is not so much out of state hunters coming to Iowa and hunting.The thing I am more concerned about is that from my experience here in S.W. Iowa we have had a lot of farmers sell out there timbers to Dr's,lawyers and other rich city people and then all of a sudden the land that we used to be able to hunt in our own area we can no longer hunt.They take the land and decide to lease it out to out of state guys so they can make money off it.Luckily I still have land through family members so I don't have to worry about it but I know other land that has been sold out only to be closed to me and my hunting partners then leased out.

Flatfoot,

I agree with your way of thinking. If the state needs more money then up the price of the nonresident fee. The way I understand it last year 12,000 people applied for 6,000 tags. Lets raise the price of the tags and keep the number of tags at 6,000. Maybe if the nonresidents have to pay more for the tags and they are not guaranteed a tag every year they will think twice about buying up this rich Iowa ground!!!!!

If the DNR is really out for the money, they should eliminate the draw for nonresident tags. Auction the tags. I don't know where the magic number is so how do they decide what to charge? Is $1000 too steep? They may sell out at $500 or $600 if they were over the counter. Charge what the market will bear, I hear alot of complaints about the fees now but if they all sell and only half the people that apply get one, I'd say they are too cheap.

I urge everyone to use the link that captain posted to reach your representative. I emailed both mine last week and they both replied. One wasn't familiar with the bill and the other agreed that it is a revenue issue with the DNR. He also asked for input from me or any sportsman. I think many of our rep's need to know how we feel on any issues that are important to us. It can have an impact on how they vote..........................contact them,....................It only takes a few minutes.
smokin.gif

Kinda feel like the redheaded step child.

If the prices are raised the only people it hurts are the lower income folks. If someone has enough money to go buy some land just for hunting they aren't going to care one bit if the price of the tag goes up. In fact I would say they would be happy about it because it means less pressure. I hunt south central Iowa on my father-in-laws place and there is a guy in the area that sends me a letter every year and some others have probably gotten letters from this guy. You can hunt his property and the property he leases for $700 to $1000 dollars for 4 to 7 days plus a trophy fee. This is a resident that has lived there all his life. There are allot of places that have been bought around where I hunt from farmers who can't afford to farm or are getting to old to be farming. These places have not been bought out by nonresidents but people who live in Des Moines. We are talking 1,000's of acres. Some of them hunt, others have bought the land for an investment and are leasing it out to residents and nonresidents alike. You can't single out residents or nonresidents that are getting in on this cash cow. That is the way it is in my area and I don't know about the rest of the state but I don't think price increases or auctions are the answer. Those options will single out an already decreasing minority. I like the idea of a set amount of tags (same as last year or less) at the current price but make it a any sex AND a doe so you get some deer management with less hunters.

Just thoughts from a lowly nonresident.

Some of you fellows are commenting that as far as you are concerned, the price of a non-resident deer or turkey tag should be just as high as the market will bear, yet you complain about the same free market system when it comes to the rising price of rural farm land and landowners leasing their properties. Using the same attitude you direct towards our non-resident friends who are concerned with the rising costs of licenses, "If you don't like it and are unwilling to pay the market price to play, then find another place to hunt!"

Doemaster;
Were can I find and read this bill? Because I want to read the entire text so I know what I am talking about when I contact my Representative. Thank you.

bowmaker...not sure where you got your figures for South Dakota but you can apply online for a gauranteed nonresident any deer tag for $155. That's it. You can get two tags for $205 in special areas. The special buck tags that I think you are speaking of are for residents only but I'm not sure of the price.

It's our pheasant and waterfowl hunting that is akin to Iowa's deer prices and availablility.
smile.gif

Tomo

South Dakota deer link

Top Bottom