Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

license question

bkcrrtnps

I recently moved to Iowa and obtained my license. I shot a doe yesterday with bow tag, no they tell me I cant buy a buck tag?

When I bought my license I asked what I needed to buy and they didnt explain it to me that if I wanted a buck I had to shoot it first

Your 1st tag is an any-sex tag, buck or doe. You should've bought an additional antlerless tag if your county has a quota. Then you would be able to get your doe & a buck w/ your bow.

Gun seasons are set up the same way.

Not to be a smart a$$ but wouldn't it have made more sense to check out Iowa's hunting and fishing regulations BEFORE you went and got a license? The last thing I would do is rely on some convenience store clerk who probably doesn't hunt anyway or care, to explain to you the hunting regulations and tag system. It's expained in the regulations book that's free to everyone and available online as well.

Here's a link Iowa Hunting Regulations

I recommend reading the deer hunting section which explains all of this, pg. 22-30. Hope this helps.

I'll explain this a little bit so you can get your head around the tags and how they work here in IA.

First off, no one screwed you out of a buck other than yourself not reading the rules first. The IA DNR website tells you everything you would have needed to know. So, lets move on now:

If you are a resident and not a land owner you can shoot two bucks a year. One with a bow and one with a gun. We don't have 'buck' tags they are any-sex meaning you could fill with a doe if you wished.

So, first thing to do is buy your statewide anysex bow tag. Then follow that with the antlerless bow tags you'd like. Then, you can choose from early muzz (theres a quota), shotgun 1 or 2, or late muzzy for your gun tag. You can only shoot one buck out of those seasons, so choose wisely. You can also get doe tags for those season as well. Those go by counties and quotas. The only season that has an any-sex quota is early muzz.

So, for next year think about what tags you'd like before you purchase. You can also use your bow during early or late muzzy. Handguns are legal during shotgun and late muzz as well.

You're going to.get a variety of information but ultimately you need to read the regulations before you do anything.

What Muddy said. I know when I took hunters safety they stressed very much that not knowing is no excuse. It is up to you to know the laws.

Sorry man that sucks.

Mobile Cooter using IW

If you don't own huntable land, then its not even worth worrying about the land owner tag. Your only opportunity to shoot another buck is during one of the gun seasons. You can still get doe tags for bow if your county is not sold out.

I'll echo what others have said. It's your responsibility to know the laws. You can't count on some joe blow at walmart that likely doesn't give a hoot about what he is selling you to know the laws. I sure as heck I wouldn't trust them.

Caseys.png

Top Bottom