Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Life is good!!!!!

kansasbowhunter

Shed Head!!!
<span style='font-size: 26pt'><span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style="color: #3333FF">Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!!!</span></span></span>

champsphoto.jpg

Glad to see a Big 12 team win a championship. I think Memphis should go back to the free throw line. 3 out of 7 in the final minutes. And Calipari didn't think it was going to hurt him.

Great comeback, great game, they deserve the win.

What does "rock chalk jayhawk" actually mean/stand for?

muddy.
It goes way back. I also wondered and did some research on it... Google it, some interesting stuff...

And yes, I was glad to see rock chalk win one. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Seriously Limb, when am I going to find time during the day to do a google search?

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Check your PM's

Here is what the google search comes up with....

"The Rock Chalk Chant is perhaps the most distinctive cheer in all of college sports. Some have likened it to a Gregorian chant, but anyone who has been in Allen Fieldhouse and heard the chant start low, then build and roll over the crowd knows that it is much, much more.

The "Rock Chalk" chant dates to 1866, when it was adopted by the University Science Club. A chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey and some of his associates were returning to Lawrence from Wichita on a train. As the story goes, they passed the time by trying to create a rousing cheer. The sound of the train's wheels on the rails suggested a rhythm and a cadence to them. At first, the cheer was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times.

Even though KU didn't have a football team until four years later, KU students quickly took up the chant. Later, an English professor suggested "Rock Chalk," in place of "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it was symbolic of the limestone, also known as chalk rock, surrounding Mount Oread, the site of the Lawrence Campus. It became the official cheer of the University in 1897.

Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

The words to the chant are simple. "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" repeated five times. The chant is special not because of the words, but because of the tone in which it is chanted and the distinctive cadence in which each verse is delivered. The only way to really appreciate the chant is to sit in Allen Fieldhouse before a Missouri game. But, if in need of a fix, the links below should recall the rocking rafters of Phog's place."

Freakin Kansas, they knocked me out of the brackets last year by losing and dang if they didn't do it again this year by winning.

A great time to be a Jayhawk fan --&gt; Orange Bowl win and now a national championship! ROCK CHALK!!!

free throws were bad enough, but in the last seconds of regulation, either foul or call timeout!!!!!

wtf?

memphis got out coached....period

Top Bottom