Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Light types for tracking blood trails

NebraskaWhitetail

This is a curiousity question more than anything else, but I'm wondering if there is a preferred type of light to use for helping to follow blood trails at night. There are a lot of people out there who claim that a blue filter on a flashlight or an ultraviolet light helps, while others say that all a blue light does is cause the blood to appear black. I read a post once where someone claimed that the light from the old reliable Coleman lantern was one of the best for helping to make a blood trail stand out. Now that there are LEDs and other types lights out there, I'm just curious to find out what peolple have found (from experience) to work best.

Thoughts?

The best light I have used was a car headlight stuck in high beam that I mounted on a carry around box with a small 12v battery, like an icefishing depthfinder. My friends say its my aircraft landing light, you certainly can see
grin.gif
. But normally I just use a good ole coleman, think it does work better then regular flashlights imho.

The Coleman Lantern is the way to go in my opinion. It sure makes a difference. I can't wait until we are following the blood trail to a monster whitetail.

i know i dont care much for the led light for blood trailing i use a nice bright white light i found its the best for me

You ever notice on CSI and other shows they always look for blood at crime scenes in the dark with little blue flashlights. I thought it was for effect, but on one of the shows they explained that the blood glowed under the light. I have wondered if those "game tracker" lights or whatever they are called in the Cabelas catalog operated under the same principal.

I use a I million candle power rechargeable spot light. It has a smaller auxilary light thats about as bright as a regular flashlight, I use it when I have good blood (saves battery), and if the trail gets sparse I fire up the big light. Cost me twenty bucks at target and it works outstanding

But if there is two of us traking we always have a coleman propane lantern.

If the bloodtrail ain't a gusher then I'll back out till morning. Trailing at night just makes me paranoid. If warm weather or rain threatens then it's to the timber with the mag lights and a good supply of batteries.

Ive got a Surefire flashlite model E2e. Its only 5 inches long but unbelievably bright. I made a blue and red filter for the end of it and it works real good. I prefer blue, the red just makes dead pineneedles glow. That is also a flashlite Id recomend just to have. I guarantee youd be amazed. Anyone else got one?

I use the Surefire E2e also. Man, those things are top of the line, just a little pricey. Very small, about the size of a AA maglight but a little shorter. It and a spare set of batteries fits easily in any small pocket. Easily twice as bright as any D cell flashlight I ever had. I used to carry rechargable flashlights but when they went dead out there you were hosed. Now I just pop in two new batteries (about 1/2" X 1")and am good to go for another 75 minutes. I have the red filter for it but that is worthless for blood tracking. Never tried the blue.

If you ever find yourself drunk enough to spend that kinda money on a flashlight, I highly recommend the SureFire lights. Their portablilty and performance is worth it to me. Of course you may find me sobbing in the woods the day I lose that sucker!

If you do, dont buy the batteries, 3v lithium, at wally world (about $7-$8 for two!) buy them from cabelas or direct from surefire. Box of 12 for $15-$20.

Wal-Mart or Sportsman’s Warehouse sell these great LED headlamps, with white or red light, made by energizer. For $12 bucks they are the best little light I have ever used and talk about make a night time tracking job easier. The white light is much bluer than white or yellow and it does make the blood stand out. Then you put that thing on your head and get light everywhere you turn, it’s sweet. The Mini Mag is now a backup.

Top Bottom